Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20723 Discussions

RTL Sequence creation

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi there people, I'm studying VHDL programing and i'm getting stuck on this question and i have a examination coming up soon, so i'm stressing a little.  

My question is.  

A 5-bit signed number (two complement) is read into a machine on the push and release of an active low ley. negative values are converted into positive magnitude form and even valued number are ignored. When 8 odd valued numbers have been entered, the machine displays the average value of the set along with a ready indicator. The machine then halts and repeats the process on activation of an asynchronous master reset of active low.  

COuld someone please help me write a register transfer language sequence. Could you please show me step by step so i understand where is start and the process. I would love to be shown how its done and not just here the answer so i get the question.  

kind regards
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Instead of just asking someone to do your homework for you - why not have a go yourself and ask questions on the bits you're stuck with.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm not asking anyone to do my homework, i would love to get a helping hand to show how i would go about this question and where to start as i'm new to VHDL. A breakdown would be awesome

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

1. Find VHDL and digital logic textbook or your class notes. 

2. Study them 

3. get a text editor 

4. write VHDL in text editor to learn VHDL 

For your problem, when youve completed the steps above: 

1. Draw an architectural diagram of the circuit. 

2. Write down the detail of how it will work. 

3. Write VHDL. 

When you've attempted the above, please ask more questions.
0 Kudos