Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20801 Discussions

Two instances of Quartus can't seem to use two JTAG pods

Oliver_I_Sedlacek
New Contributor III

I need to debug two FPGA systems simultaneously. One is the Trenz Cyclone 10 board which includes an Arrow-USB JTAG interface and a second board with a Cyclone IV GX and a Terasic Blaster debug pod. There seems to be no way to persuade the two instances of Quartus (20.1 Lite) to select one device each. Everything works separately.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
FvM
Valued Contributor III

Hello,
I don't experience problems accessing multiple JTAG adapters from multiple Quartus instances. Last checked with Quartus 19.1 and 21.1, Windows 10.

image.png

A known restriction is that you can't enumerate new programming hardware when another instance is presently communicating, e.g. SignalTap waiting for trigger or Source&Probe continuously reading data. Also device names of adapters without unique name may change when connecting a new adapter. Therefore you should plug in all adapters and perform the setup of all debug instances before starting debug action.

Which step actually fails in your test?

Enumerating the adapters in setup?
Selecting debug hardware?
Communicating with adapter?

Regards,
Frank

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
FvM
Valued Contributor III

Hello,
I don't experience problems accessing multiple JTAG adapters from multiple Quartus instances. Last checked with Quartus 19.1 and 21.1, Windows 10.

image.png

A known restriction is that you can't enumerate new programming hardware when another instance is presently communicating, e.g. SignalTap waiting for trigger or Source&Probe continuously reading data. Also device names of adapters without unique name may change when connecting a new adapter. Therefore you should plug in all adapters and perform the setup of all debug instances before starting debug action.

Which step actually fails in your test?

Enumerating the adapters in setup?
Selecting debug hardware?
Communicating with adapter?

Regards,
Frank

0 Kudos
Oliver_I_Sedlacek
New Contributor III

So I did get it to work. Problem is perhaps just lack of patience as I left the second instance loading SignalTap with the cursor just spinning whilst I had a lunch break. Came back and it had sprung to life after who knows how long.

0 Kudos
Oliver_I_Sedlacek
New Contributor III

The problem is that in the 'Currently selscted hardware:' drop down I don't get offered both devices on both instances. I've tried a few permuataions of plugging in hardware and launching Quartus and I'm seeking assurances that it should actually work. If there are rules to follow I need to know them.

0 Kudos