Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20801 Discussions

Unable to program the FPGA with .ekp file

AhmedMaashri
Beginner

I am trying to encrypt the bitstream using the functionality provided by Quartus Prime software version (18.1) for the FPGA platform (DE0-Nano-SoC) using the non-volatile key storage in FPGA.

Below are the steps done:

1. The sof file was encrypted and converted to .jic file. (SUCCESS)

2. An .ekp file containing the key was generated. (SUCCESS)

3. The .jic file was then programmed in EPCQ. (SUCCESS)

4. The .ekp should be programmed in the non-volatile key storage. However, when attempting to write the file to the storage, Quartus shows an error  indicating that the "Current hardware doesn't support security key programming"

I have tried reverting to Quartus 13.1 (as suggested by other posts) and that didn't work. I tried different machines, and different DE0-Nano-SoC boards, and that also didn't work.

Any hints?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
WZ2
Employee

Hi there

Since DE0-Nano-SoC is not our official product, we don't know what settings they have made for the device, so I can only give some suggestions from a general perspective:

In order to better answer your question, please let me clarify first, do you want to program a volatile or non-volatile key in the device?

Best regards,

WZ

0 Kudos
AhmedMaashri
Beginner

Hello WZ, thanks for your reply.

I want to program a non-volatile key in the device.

Best regards, 

Ahmed

0 Kudos
WZ2
Employee

Hi there,

For non-volatile key, there is no extra requirement on board. Of course this key is irreversible. Could u give me the error log in quartus?

Best regards,

WZ

0 Kudos
AhmedMaashri
Beginner

Thank you for your help. This is the error message: "Current hardware doesn't support security key programming".

Best regards, 

Ahmed

0 Kudos
WZ2
Employee

Hi Ahmed,

Sorry I cannot find the related log about this error, could u give me the pic of this error in quartus.

Best regards,

WZ

0 Kudos
AhmedMaashri
Beginner

Thank you for your reply WZ, and sorry for taking long to reply. I was traveling.

The screenshot of the error is shown below.

Best regards, 

Unsupported Hardware Error Screenshot.png

0 Kudos
efkef
Beginner

Hi AhmedMaashri,

Have you found a solution? I have the same issues...

Thanks.

0 Kudos
AhmedMaashri
Beginner

Unfortunately, there is no solution so far. It seems to be a bug in the Qaurtus toolchain. Hopefully, Intel will fix it soon.

0 Kudos
efkef
Beginner

UPDATE:

I succeeded to program the key with the external JTAG interface and USB Blaster II. 

0 Kudos