Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20735 Discussions

Urgent: DMA Timing Analysis Result

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello. Currently I am using DMA to transfer data from SDRAM to SRAM. The size of the data is 10digit (from 0 to 9). the result from performance counter showing DMA is slower than using IOWR. why? is it because the data is too small? if i transfer 512kb of data, will the result be more significant? please help me! thank you!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes transferring a small amount of data will most probably be slower with a DMA, because of the time spent to configure the DMA core. The highest gains are with big transfers.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the reply. If transferring 512KB of data, is it sufficient for testing?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It should be enough. But using a size closer to your final application might be more interesting for you.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I tried for 2MB of data but still IOWR and IORD is faster. why? The data is transfer inside the same SDRAM but different offset.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

How faster? Are you sure you are measuring time correctly? 

You could use some signaltap probes on the SDRAM controller to see what is happening during the transfers.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, it is done. Using DMA, it improves by 88.75%. Thanks ya! By the way, I have a question about performance counter report at http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28665  

Please help me out. Thanks!
0 Kudos