Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20803 Discussions

VHDL works only with xilinx

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I wrote a vhdl code that interface with a module through SPI communication protocol my code was done in FSM with next state logic, it worked perfectly with my spartan 3AN board but when i try it on ALTERA DE0-nano baord it didnt work at all although its pure VHDL what i understand is that vhdl is suitable for any FPGA, so can any body please explain to me whats happinig.another thing if i didnt use global reset for the code does it make difference ?
0 Kudos
24 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It does work great. It does let you write way better code which is easier to maintain and understand. We write separate packages per *interface*, i.e. both directions of a block-to-block connection including the two records, one per direction, and probably some supporting constants, range and type definitions, occasionally the interface also defines some IDLE (default) values for these records if this makes sense in place. 

Our architectures use a single record for all registers, with notable exceptions like inferred RAM blocks (or some selected registers without reset) or multi-clock-domain interfacing. Local variables inside the functional process are also collected in a single record type. 

What we never did was to find out whether there is any speed or area penalty resulting from this coding style because of synthesis tool defensive actions. If we’ll ever see some of those in action, we will go as far as possible with our coding style and apply standard/structural coding to the smallest part possible to achieve our goal. 

In addition to using records, we drastically reduce the use of std_logic(_vector) in favor of boolean, ranged integers and bit_vector. Way better code, but some ‘copper sniffers’ – that’s what I call them – have a hard time getting used to it. 

This coding style does not stop you from doing nasty things regarding speed/area issues, but at least those look prettier. ;) 

– Matthias
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What I heard was that it simulates faster since you have much fewer processes and the number of processes effect the simulation speed a lot. Actually I code mostly verilog so I don't have records, but with systemverilog I can do similar things. I need to try it out on some project and see how it works.  

Thanks 

/Boris
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

BTW, I forgot to post the link to gaisler’s presentation (http://www.gaisler.com/doc/structdes.pdf) about this topic. Worth a read. 

– Matthias
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

@ahmedmohamed85 i want you contact me

0 Kudos