Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20777 Discussions

choosing a FPGA from 28 nm technology

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I am doing ECE final year and doing my project about Altera and Xilinx FPGAs in 28 nm technology. I was suppose to choose one device from each company regarding its performance (cost,power,speed and area) and then implement a multiplier on those FPGAs and then synthesis and analysing the report. 

I have chosen Arria V family because in its information said it has a balance of cost , low power and high performace , now in arria V family I must choose a device . I have made a weighting system for choosing a device but still I am not sure about my decision. for implementing a multiplier which device is better ? when I want to compare the area , which factor I should consider as the main factor ?  

would you please give me some suggestions. 

Regards
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What kind of multiplier? all chips have embedded multpliers now - so if thats all you want then you will be using <1% of the smallest Arria V device. Even if you implement it without using the embedded multipliers, you still wont be using much of the smallest one.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I must choose a device from altera and then decide which multiplier I need, I mean 64 x 64 or 1024 x 1024 or higher or lower numbers , depending on the device I am choosing. but firstly I must choose one device from 28 nm technology , from any family in 28 nm technology . I have chosen Arria V but I am not sure if Cyclone or Stratix can be better choices or not ?  

I am so new with FPGAs and I feel so confused.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

For your project, a cyclone would be more than adequate. As you increase the families Cyclone -> Arria -> Stratix the main things you pay for are extra IOs and better transceivers. The technology between the families is otherwise pretty similar.  

If all you are doing is a multiplier, then go as cheap as possible.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I really appreciate your help. 

I have one more question , if I choose any family, let's say Cyclone , now I have to choose only one product in this family , and for choosing that product I must consider power , price , speed and area . when I want to compare the area , which factor I should consider as the main factor ? DSP slices ? number of I/Os ? ... 

also for price, I have used prices from digikey.ca but they are so expensive, my professor did not accept my price table that I've made regarding that website prices , is there any other way to get prices ?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If all you are buying is single chips, then something like digikey prices will be what you pay. But the smallest cyclones start at around $30, but thats the part price. You probably want a dev board that will have discounts to academic institutions. 

As for how to compare things to xilinx, that will be difficult. I assume you'll need the same Input and output, so IO requirements will be known. Power comparison should also be pretty straightforward. But as the Altera and Xilinx architectures are different, it is very difficult to compare area of logic or DSPs.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What I need is just each part price cause I want to compare all family members prices, but what I see in digikey is not that because it's so expensive. 

for power, I have used "PowerPlay Early Power Estimator" though I did not change each and every parameter in the excel file , I just entered the temperature and speed, is it going to give me a good estimation ? 

For area now I am not still at the point to compare xilinx and altera , I am still choosing one product from each company , so now for choosing only one device from cyclone v , so comparing cycloneV family member, which factor I should consider as the main factor for area ? 

sorry if my questions are so confusing!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Between Cyclone V family members , what is the difference between 100-TQFP and 144-LQFP ? which one is better for my purpose ?

0 Kudos