Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20735 Discussions

signed/unsigned multipliers

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I can't seem to find a way to instantiate a multiplier that will dynamically select between signed and unsigned multiplication. This is on a Cyclone II, but applies to other parts as well. 

Reading the Cyclone II documentation it is clear that signa, signb inputs does what I want, but none of the multipliers created with the Wizzard exports that as an input signal. Trying to infer it with the code below doesn't work (bug in Quartus II?); it complains that no logic depends on input_sign. However looking at the RTL with Tools/Netlist Viewers/RTL Viewer clearly shows it being used, however the technology map viewer shows input_sign as disconnected and signa and signb hardwired to ground. 

This looks like a bug to me, but I could be doing something wrong. 

module mult(input clock, input input_sign, input input_a, input input_b, output reg output_c); reg a, b; reg sign; always @(posedge clock) begin sign <= input_sign; a <= input_a; b <= input_b; if (sign) output_c <= $signed(a) * $signed(b); else output_c <= $unsigned(a) * $unsigned(b); end endmodule
0 Kudos
42 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

It is always true if we allow for correct width. The issue of 8 bit width representing numbers from 0~127 and -1 to -128 is separate. 

The puzzle still stands: 

- => + should reverse + => - naturally 

hence for - => + subtract 1 then invert (by definition) 

but how come the same rule apply to both conversions as well. 

i.e. [invert add 1] in either case. 

--- Quote End ---  

If you search Wikipedia for "two's complement" there is an explanation, but rather complex. 

For me, when you start with a positive number and complement the objective is to find the distance from zero in the negative direction so when you complement 0 "adding 1" has the effect of reducing the magnitude so that 0 is still zero, but the magnitude of all negative numbers appears to be offset toward 0. When you complement the negative number you have to add 1 to adjust the magnitude to get the correct distance from 0 in the positive direction. Therefore the maximum negative number 1.000 ... 0 is farther away from 0 than the maximum positive number and cannot be converted.
0 Kudos