Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20764 Discussions

to jtag conversion ?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hy, 

How can i convert a programming file (recieved by uart) - to jtag - ? 

Is there an interface which converts from serial/parallel to jtag (tck, tms, tdi) ???
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

For an embedded JTAG programmer design, please search Altera.com for the JRUNNER project. 

And avoid cross-postings at Altera Forum.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I want the cpld to do the conversion : cpld will recieve data by uart and convert it into jtag format (as i dont have a cpu in my board). 

Ill make my question more accurate: 

Is there a hw interface (i want the cpld do do the conversion - not a pc ) 

that can convert data to jtag format -? 

thank you
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Your question is still unclear. You need to generate a programming command sequence at the JTAG lines, as e.g. described in the JRUNNER project details. You have to abstract from the specific PC platform used there. But what kind of data stream do you want to send throuf the serial interface?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

the jrunner is no good for me because im interested in doing the conversion by hw - in the cpld (and not by a processor), 

ill try to explain : 

i have 2 boards, my goal is to program the cpld at board# 2 . 

in board# 1: i have a processor which converts the programming file into uart and transmmits this data - by uart - to board# 2. 

in board# 2 : i have a cpld (no processor) which recieves uart data from board# 1 , and wants to convert this data back into jtag format , in order to program itself (with real ISP option of course). 

in case of active serial programming ( for example), i would of used the Active Serial Memory Interface (ALTASMI_PARALLEL) Megafunction , which provides access to programing the epcs device (parallel input to active serial output) . but in my case i want it to be a parallel input to jtag output . 

Is there such a megafunction - ? 

hoped i made myself clear. 

thanks again
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I fear, that you still didn't understand, that I suggested the SRUNNER project only as a reference how to generate the JTAG command sequence. 

Your basic intention has been clear from your first post in my opinion. From the additional information, I understand that you want to send the binary configuration data directly by the UART. This implies, that the CPLD has to perform the translation to JTAG programming commands. 

There's no JTAG master core available, but opencores has one.
0 Kudos