Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers

using .sof file

KenBee
Beginner
Simple problem. Trying to to update an old design after a 15 year break. Using USBBlaster 11 with EPCS16 with quartus 13. I can read the contents of the EPCS16 so that is good but the programmer will not pick up the .sof file. It only finds .pof. Programmer is set to active serial and USBBlaster. Guess I have missed something. Regards KenBee
0 Kudos
4 Replies
_AK6DN_
Valued Contributor I

EPCS16 is an eeprom, you don't say what kind of FPGA device you are using.

That being said, the .sof file is the program image of the FPGA itself, not the eeprom.

You should be able to load the .sof file to the FPGA directly using the Quartus programmer tool.

But it will be transient, and lose its contents on a power cycle.

Normally the .sof would be embedded into a .jic which can be used to program the EPCS eeprom device via the programmer.

The Quartus tools can be used to build the .jic from the generated .sof file.

0 Kudos
FvM
Valued Contributor III

You apparently have an AS interface on your board. In this case, .pof file can be generated during compilation flow, but has to be enabled in device settings. Alternatively .sof can be converted to .pof (for AS programming method) or .jic (for JTAG indirect programming through FPGA JTAG interface) with programming file conversion tool. JTAG indirect programming is preferred in most systems because one interface can be used for debugging and flas programming purposes.

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Above sharing from our community user are verified.

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

We do not receive any response from you to the previous answer that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you

0 Kudos