Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2068 Discussions

DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION BSOD caused by Intel RST VMD Controller 467F (iaStorVD.sys) and driver update

YBSquishy
Beginner

Hello! I have a twofold question. I've recently been having issues regarding my Alienware m15 r7's Intel RST VMD Controller 467F storage controller. 

At random intervals (can be anything from once a week to back-to-back), my computer will freeze before crashing with a DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION BSOD. Upon inspection of the minidump files (was unable to attach it), the root cause of the crash relates to the RST VMD Controller 467F driver iaStorVD.sys.

Additionally, often under high heat, my computer's connected D:/ SSD drive will disconnect and disappear. I do not know if the two are related, but I'm putting it here just in case I can solve two issues at once.

I have some questions on how to resolve this issue. One, will updating the drivers for this module solve the issue (and the related question of which drivers do I need to install)? Two, failing this, what would be the recommended way of solving this issue?

Dell's update package for this driver is the same version as what I currently have and I have tried reinstalling the package with no fix.

RST VMD 467F Version is: 19.2.1.1006

Computer Specs:
Device: Alienware m15 r7

CPU: Intel i7 12700H 12th Gen
GPU: RTX3070 Laptop

RAM: 64GB DDR5

Storage: 2x512gb NVME

Please advise and thank you for your help

I was unable to attach the minidump file, but I have included a list of drivers for the storage controller in question.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello YBSquishy,

Thank you for posting on the Intel communities. I see that you are having BSOD issue with your Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST), I understand how annoying this can be, I will be happy to help you.  

To have a better understanding of the situation, please answer the following questions:

Regards,  

Andres P. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
YBSquishy
Beginner

Thank you for your reply! The issue has been ongoing for a while, and I should have reached out sooner. I don't remember exactly when it started, but it had been happening for at least 6 months on an infrequent basis. Sometimes it will crash once a week, sometimes I won't have an issue for several weeks only to have it crash again. I have not had any sort of driver update for the controller since I bought this laptop new last year.

Here is the requested information:

BSOD Minidump (from Aug 4, 2023 crash, last crash with that issue) and SSU Reports are in this folder: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1kdhikjdo0gPcANasLzOyyNH0eeAzoEM9?usp=sharing

Thank you so much.

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello YBSquishy,

Thank you for your response, all the information provided has been really helpful.

Please follow the steps below and let me know the results:

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
YBSquishy
Beginner

Thank you, sorry for the delay but I installed the driver update successfully. I will continue to monitor to ensure that the issue is fully resolved but, in the meantime, thank you so much for your help!

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello YBSquishy,

Thank you for the update.

I will wait for you to continue monitoring, please let me know the results as soon you have them.

Regards,

Andres P.

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @YBSquishy  

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us back. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @YBSquishy        

As we have not heard back from you, we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional assistance, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos