Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2109 Discussions

Degraded RAID 1 Volume : how to ID the failed disk

steveb_online
Beginner

I am not very savvy about RAID volumes, so apologies for any stupid questions.

I am running a GIGIBYTE MB with two identical SSDs in RAID 1.

My PC has started to boot VERY slowly and the BIOS does not see one of the drives as a bootable device (as it used to before the problems emerged) although it sees both drives on the SATA controller.

I had a look at the RST utility and it reports a degraded volume.  Both the SATA disk are show as "OK" on the "Manage" page and I can see their ID's OK.  Screenshot attached.

I cannot "see" both the SSDs in Windows Devices or SeaTools to do a SMART check. 

No Events were recorded for the RAID array by the  Windows 10 OS

I have the option to rebuild the array but here's the thing...

How do I determine which drive is the one that should be used as the master?

What happens if I select the wrong drive to be rebuilt?

If I buy a new (identical) SSD drive to rebuild the array, I still have the same problem.  Which is the master drive that should be used to rebuild the array?

Any help would be appreciated. It is quite probable that I have the wrong end of the logical stick.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
steveb_online
Beginner

SOLVED

Having opened the PC case and probed around a bit, I see that I can ID the drives from the SATA ports they are connected to.  I wasn't confident that I would be right but, having shut down the PC and disconnected the drive I ID'd as being the one that had died, the PC restarted OK and confirmed my suspicions. I tried the removed SSD in a remote connector to test the drive and it is definitely dead. Regrettably it went out of warranty 6 months ago. I am now waiting for a replacement drive to be delivered.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
steveb_online
Beginner

SOLVED

Having opened the PC case and probed around a bit, I see that I can ID the drives from the SATA ports they are connected to.  I wasn't confident that I would be right but, having shut down the PC and disconnected the drive I ID'd as being the one that had died, the PC restarted OK and confirmed my suspicions. I tried the removed SSD in a remote connector to test the drive and it is definitely dead. Regrettably it went out of warranty 6 months ago. I am now waiting for a replacement drive to be delivered.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

steveb_online, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

Perfect, it is great to know that you were able to find the source of the problem by confirming that the SSD is defective. Thank you as well for taking the time to share the solution on this thread, we are sure it will be very helpful and useful for all the peers looking at this conversation.

Any other inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos