Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2056 Discussions

Does Intel Support the VROC_HD_KEY module or only RST VROC now for x299 motherboards?

JCrum3
Beginner

I think the forum community might be better served if this Community Forum Topic for Hardware under Rapid Storage Technology included VROC in topic description along with Intel Rapid Storage, RST [ Intel(R) Rapid Storage, RST, VROC ]

Intel Support seems to follow the same patterned response of promoting the RST platform RAID setups over the use of the VROC Hardware Key module by posting the following link as a standard practiced response. Likely few would notice any difference between the VROC RST or HD Key module RAID arrays. The RST RAID arrays are BIOS non-bootable.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/ssd-software/VROC_Support_on_X299_FAQ.pdf 1

INTEL® VIRTUAL RAID ON CPU (INTEL® VROC) SUPPORT ON X299 FAQ Updated July 10, 2019 

NOTE: In no situation should Intel RST and Intel VROC be used on the same platform at the same time. This use is non compatible with the platform and is not supported.

Q.8 Where can I get an Intel VROC hardware key? A8: With Intel® VROC moving into sustaining mode on X299 HEDT platforms, the Intel® VROC hardware keys will no longer be actively sold to X299 customers.

(So, we get the VROC HD Key platform wasn't meant as much for x299 Motherboards as a Server Hosting platform based business application.)

Please use Intel® RST instead which does not require a hardware key.

(Okay, the Intel RST platform doesn't require a hardware key, but it also doesn't allow for bootable RAID array setups like the HD key provides.)

According to the ASUS Motherboard RAID Configuration Guide, We have to buy and use the VROC_HD_KEY_module if we want to set up a bootable RAID 1, RAID 5 or RAID 10 arrays.

Question: If intel stops selling the HD Keys, then how will the ASUS x299 boards be able to provide UEFI BIOS bootable RAID arrays?

How will ASUS x299 boards support a VROC bootable RAID array setup in the future, or they simply will stop? Just curious.

How the HD Key licensing works: Something useful to know in advance, of which I'm finding it very difficult to get from the Manufacturers. I asked Intel support about it. No reply.

I'm still looking into, since the key is required for bootable RAID array setups that can be used either as a CPU performance booster or for a server hosting based platform setup.

Maybe Intel can set the HD Key modules use when we register it for activation by the licensing setup step?

Maybe Intel can set some functions usage limits to CPU performance or a Licensed Server hosting platform.

ASUS MOTHERBOARD RAID Configuration Guide link

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/TUF_GAMING_X570-PLUS_WI-FI/E14794_RAID_Configuration_Guide_EM_V4_WEB.pdf

ASUS MoBo RAID Config. Guide.png

So, I get Intel intends to stop selling the HD Key for x299 boards and their reasons for doing so.

But as for those who purchased the HD key for our x299 boards that require the Key for bootable VROC RAID 1, RAID 5 and RAID 10 array setups, how about intel support the ASUS x299 VROC board requirements and just provide the Guide link with Support x299 RST pdf.

Intel Support, please provide the support steps on how to setup the HD Key module for x299 boards. The ASUS Motherboard RAID Configuration Guide didn't appear to have any specific steps involving the use of or how for the Key module. I don't understand why that's a problem for Intel or ASUS Support to get out there to us.

ASUS and Intel are partnered on the x299 board that has a HD key module connector for the bootable RAIDS 1, 5,10.

ASUS Support said they upgraded my support ticket to their technical support teams highest level. That they would have the team contact me within 24 to 48 hours. That was over a week and 2 support tickets with filled out Motherboard information forms ago.

Still can't believe the support agent tried to fool me with a failed RST Raid configuration that tuned my x4 M.2 SSD Hyper Card into nothing more than a simple 1 TB storage harddrive.

Intel Support:

I have met all of the Hardware requirements.

The Intel online compatibility list said to use ONLY Intel M.2 SSDs of the same type and listed the M.2 7600p series as VROC supported M.2 SSDs. I have 4 M.2 7600 256 M.2s on the ASUS M.2 X16 Card V2 in PCI Slot 1.

CPU is the i9-10920x 12 cores and 24 threads 3.5GHz

MY CONCLUSION REEDIT: If Intel no longer intends to support the ASUS x299 Rampage VI boards bootable VROC HD key RAID 1, 5, & 10 setups, as indicated by their VROC_Support_on_X299_FAQ.pdf link. STOP:

UPDATE POST EDIT: after a couple support tickets and a few days later of going back and forth with Intel Support, I finally got the link and information I had been seeking! HERE IT IS.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/server-boards/Intel-VROC-Quick-Configuration-Guide.pdf

A quick look through of the Guide indicates the Intel RST for VROC Raid 1, 5, &10 setups can be done, but they aren't UEFI BIOS bootable.

The ASUS & Intel HD Key provides for UEFI BIOS Bootable RAID 1, 5, 10 setups. The RST setups can't overcome the ASUS key requirements laid out in the ASUS Motherboard Configuration Guide for bootable arrays.

So, if a RAID 1, 5, 10, non-bootable arrays work for you, then use the RST.

Bootable RAID 10 and a non-bootable RAID 10 setups are a whole other topic of one I am not yet sufficiently up to speed enough about to post or engage in to date.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JosafathB_Intel

Hello JCrum3,

Thank you for contacting Intel® SSD Support.

We noticed that you have an open case with our advanced technical support department and another community thread related to the same topic. We will continue to provide you with support in your open case.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JosafathB_Intel

Hello JCrum3,

Thank you for contacting Intel® SSD Support.

We noticed that you have an open case with our advanced technical support department and another community thread related to the same topic. We will continue to provide you with support in your open case.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
JCrum3
Beginner

JoshB_Intel Support

Yes, I opened 2 Case Tickets with Intel Support. The initial Ticket case reply response and link directed me away from finding out how to do a VROC HD Key bootable CPU RAID setup.

The 2nd Case Ticket Support agent response help provided me with information I needed with which to educate myself to VROC HD Key module RAID Configuration Setups.

Of which I do Thank You Intel Support for that. And I apologize if I have come across overly critical of Supports efforts.

Intel Support appears to follow a particular set of predetermined responses that I imagine more often don't succeed, or fail to provide their consumer with what they truly need.

And that would be why we come to the Community Forum to find and share answers.

0 Kudos