Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2046 Discussions

Has CSMI support for NVMe devices?

dhan5
Beginner

Has CSMI support for NVMe devices, and where to get the newest spec?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello hdj,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

I understand you want to get information about CSMI. Can you please provide the following information to better assist you?

By CSMI you are referring to Common Storage Management Interface or CSMI command?

Do you want to get information about Intel NVME SSDs that support CSMI?

Do you want to know if Intel® RST Supports NMVE?

By getting the newest spec, are you referring to any specific chipset or SSD from a specific vendor?

I hope to hear from you soon.

Best Regards,

Juan V.
0 Kudos
dhan5
Beginner

By CSMI you are referring to Common Storage Management Interface or CSMI command?

Common Storage Management Interface

Do you want to get information about Intel NVME SSDs that support CSMI?

No

Do you want to know if Intel® RST Supports NMVE?

Yes.

By getting the newest spec, are you referring to any specific chipset or SSD from a specific vendor?

We build an SSD utility and test it with our own NVMe SSD at Thinkpad P50 serial(Open Raid mode), but we have no any CSMI references for NVMe SSD

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello hdj,

Thank you for the information.

Let me do further research on this and I will update this thread once I have more details.

Best Regards,

Juan V.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi hdj,

I apologize for the delay on this answer, I understand you are looking for compatible drivers for NVMe drives.

Intel offers two drivers for Intel® Rapid Storage Technology with NVMe drive support.

Intel® RSTe version 4.5.0.2123

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25771/-Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Enterprise-NVMe-Intel-RSTe-NVMe-RAID-Driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25771/-Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Enterprise-NVMe-Intel-RSTe-NVMe-RAID-Driver

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) version 14.8.0.1042

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-?product=55005 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-?product=55005

There is a newer version for https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27147/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-?product=55005 Intel® RST version 15.8.1.1007

If you have questions regarding Intel® SSD drives, please open new thread with the /community/tech/solidstate SSD team

Thank you for your time.

Allan J.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Let me ask Intel a related question:

I have software that uses Intel RST's CSMI protocol to access the physical drives in a RAID array and extract their temperature readings. With the latest releases of Intel RST, this software is no longer able to access the physical drives and extract their temperature readings. This tells me that either (a) the CSMI protocol has been changed, or (b) the CSMI protocol has been replaced with something else. If it has been changed, please detail the changes made. If it has been replaced, please point me to documentation on the protocol that is now supported.

Thank you,

...S

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Scott,

How are you? I have to check this information internally, please allow me some time to do a research on this matter and I will come back as soon as news become available.

Regards,

Allan J.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Thanks Allan. I presumed this one might take some time to find out. I noticed that FinalWire (AIDA64) seems to have this support working, so the information is definitely available somehow...

...S

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Scott, how are you?

I apologize for the delay, I was able to get some information from the engineering team, please see below:

There were flow changes according to using CSMI commands after adding support of that commands for Intel® Optane™ Technology configuration from 15.5 drivers. We have not support CSMI commands for NVMe drives.

Regards,

Allan J.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Allan,

So you (they) are saying that CSMI is still fully supported? If so, what has changed that the existing code is not working? This existing code I am referring to is the reference code that I released in source form (within the QST SDK) during my time at Intel (interests don't die when you retire!). How does this code need to be changed to make it work today? As well, how to I access NVMe drives for S.M.A.R.T. data extraction? Is this via the SCSI (passthrough) commands? My home email is within my Communities profile and can be seen by you; you can pass it on to the team if they want to answer me directly...

Thanks,

...S

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Scott,

Sure, I can see your email, I am forwarding this information to the engineering team.

Thanks for your time.

Allan J.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Scott,

Please tell us your system configuration and the current RST driver that you are using.

We are looking to get more details based on your setup.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Scott,

I have sent a private message, please check your Inbox.

Thank you for your time.

Allan J.
0 Kudos