Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

Installed second SSD hard drive in Allienware laptop

Kenkolen
Beginner

The laptop came with a 500GB SSD drive which was running out of space. So I installed a second SSD 1 TB. Intel rapid storage technology was pre installed by the laptop manufacturer.  

My intention was to clone the smaller hard drive to the larger then use the larger as the primary.

The Rapid Storage program recommeded the two become an array. Now my computer doesn't recognize that I have two SSD's and the larger HD storage is not being used. Intel Rapid Storage see's the second drive gh

0 Kudos
5 Replies
BrusC_Intel

Hello, @Kenkolen.

Thank you for contacting Intel Community Support.

We received your thread regarding your new 1TB drive not being recognized and Intel RST being possibly involved, we will be glad to assist you.

Looks like your last sentence is incomplete, "Intel Rapid Storage see's the second drive gh", would you mind letting us know the rest?

I would also like to know if you can provide us with a full system report and the Intel RST report to get a better view of the current situation in your system:

1. Intel System support utility:

• Open the application and click Scan to see the system and device information.
  • The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View.
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer.

2. Intel RST report:

• Open the Intel Rapid Storage Technology window.
  • Click on Help, System Report, and Save.

Please attach both reports to this thread.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Kenkolen
Beginner

I am attaching the readout from my computer.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Kenkolen, 

Based on what you are reporting and the information we have available, it seems the Intel IRST has created a Recovery drive, this has caused the unit to have one drive as Recovery. Unfortunately, this feature cannot be reverted. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057207/technologies/intel-rapid-storage-technology-intel-rst.html  

If you would like to have the computer with the previous configuration, you can contact the system manufacturer (OEM) and check the best way to reset the recovery drive. 

Our recommendations are: 

1. Turn on the system.  
  2. When the Intel® RST option ROM status screen displays during POST, press Ctrl and I at the same time to enter the option ROM user interface. 
  3. Set the drives to a Non-RAID status.  
  4. Reinstall the Operating System as factory settings  
  5. This will delete any structure and OS files.  

Note: In case the ROM does not show up after pressing Ctrl + I, check with the OEM as the RAID manager may be included within the system BIOS.   

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Kenkolen,  

Were you able to check the previous recommendations? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Kenkolen,  

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance or if you have additional questions, please create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos