Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID

Intel RST

Gcheris
Beginner
Lost my Raid10. 4 Hitachi 4 TB enterprise drives. Drives 0.0 & 0.1 are still part of volume 1 raid but shows failed status for the volume. Drives 0.2 & 0.3 show now that they are non-raid when they were originally part of the volume. How to recover? No mbr either.
ASUS Prime Z370-All with Intel i7-8700 processor, 32gb Corsair ram.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Gcheris, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In this case, the RAID seems to be completely lost. Our recommendation will be making the RAID array once again from scratch: 

To delete the array: 

1. Turn on the computer. When prompted during system startup, press Ctrl+I at the same time to enter the option ROM user interface. 
  2. Click 2. Delete RAID Volume
  3. Use the up or down arrow keys to select the failed RAID 0 volume. 
  4. Press Delete to delete the volume. 
  5. Press Y to confirm the deletion. 
  6. Click 1. Create RAID Volume and follow the prompts to create a RAID 0 volume. 
  7. Click 6. Exit

Create the RAID 10: 

1. Turn on the computer. When prompted during system startup, press Ctrl+I at the same time to enter the option ROM user interface. 
  2. Select 1: Create RAID Volume and press Enter
  3. Use the up or down arrow keys to select RAID 10 and press Enter
  4. Select the strip size and press Enter (64 KB is the default). 
  5. Select the volume size or capacity and press Enter
  6. Press Enter to create the volume. 
  7. When prompted, press Y to confirm volume creation. 
  8. Select 5: Exit and press Enter
  9. Press Y to confirm exit. 
  10. Reboot the system. At this point, the system should be ready for you to reinstall the operating system. 

Note: In case you cannot enter the ROM with Ctrl+I, check with the motherboard manufacturer as the RAID manager may be included in the BIOS.  

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Gcheris,  

Were you able to check the previous post? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Gcheris
Beginner

Yes, thank you.

Unfortunately your approach seems like it will destroy the data I'd like to try to recover.  I did not have a backup thinking the raid would suffice.  I have ordered a NAS and drives to create a backup solution.  Once I get that functional I will try to recover the data to the backup drives.  After that maybe I can restore the raid.

The system was completely new 18 months ago any idea why it failed?  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Gcheris,   

Thanks for the update. 

Please remember that from our side, the recommendation will be to make a backup of the data and try to recreate the array from scratch as all 4 disks appear to be out of the RAID.  

You may want to double-check with your motherboard manufacturer for any alternate recovery options and backup procedures. 

Regarding your question, it is not clear why the array failed; it can be due to several factors like software causing an issue to the structure, a motherboard failure, an issue of the RAID controller, multiple disk problems, missing RAID partitions, etc.  

Regards,   

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Gcheris,    

We hope the previous information was useful to you. 

As you will try to recover the data with an alternate method, we will close this inquiry from our end. 

If you have any additional questions, please submit a new thread and we will gladly assist you. 

Regards,    

Sebastian M   

0 Kudos