Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

Intel Rapid Storage Technology 12.7.0.1936 fails to boot windows

AJ3
Beginner

Hello, recently my laptop stopped booting windows. When I turn it on, Intel Rapid Storage Technology 12.7.0.1936 https://www.dropbox.com/s/qg5gxusxnmnti5e/2015-05-06%2007.49.21.jpg?dl=0 window shows up and says, that one of my volume is disabled and asks me to press CTRL+I to enter Configuration Utility. When I press that, I'm only allowed to select two options:

3. Reset Disks to Non-RAID

6. Exit

If I don't press CTRL+I, after some time I get the message "Operation System not found" and then I'm allowed to enter BIOS.

If I select "Reset Disks to Non-RAID" will my data be permanently deleted without any possibility to recover it later using some recovery software (e.g. Recuva)? Is it possible to fix this issue somehow without resetting disks? What options do I have now?

My laptop's specifications:

Dell Inspiron 14 7000 Series 7437

Intel Core i5-4210U CPU @ 1.7GHz

mSata Device LITEONIT LMS-32L6M m-(S1) 32GB

Windows 8

Thank you,

Andrew

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AJ3
Beginner

I selected "Reset Disks to Non-RAID" and now I don't see Intel RST window anymore, but I keep getting "Operation System not found" message. I disabled some intel related options in BIOS and was able to boot windows setup usb drive and when I select to repair or reset my computer I get "The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again.". How am I supposed to unlock this drive? Only SSD (but not my HDD) is visible after executing this command "diskpart list disk".

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

This may be because there is a special configuration on the drive or the system.

Make sure the chipset is set as RAID in the BIOS. This could do the trick.

AJ3
Beginner

There's no option which has setting RAID in BIOS.

I somehow managed to install windows into SDD, but my HDD is not visible (probably because it was locked by RST before). How to unlock and make it visible again?

0 Kudos
AJ3
Beginner

Windows from SSD loads only if the following settings are set in BIOS:

SATA Operation: AHCI (instead of Intel Smart Response Technology)

Intel Rapid Start Technology: Disabled (instead of Enabled)

Boot List Option: Legacy (instead of UEFI)

If I change those options - windows does not load.

BTW, I even booted live ubuntu from usb and it didn't detect my HDD drive.

So I have only one question: how to get my HDD back? I'm fine with data loss, all I need now - working computer with a SDD and HDD visible and working.

Maybe you have some special tools, which could unlock my HDD from RST?

0 Kudos
AJ3
Beginner

Also my HDD is not visible in BIOS.

Fixed HDD: None

mSata Device LITEONIT LMS-32L6M m-(S1) 32GB

Please help make it visible again.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

If the option is not in the BIOS, you need to contact Dell support so they can help you with the special configuration our system requires.

Kevin m