Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2054 Discussions

Intel Storage manager not showing sata drives in RAID at all

AKair1
Beginner

RapHi,

I have an asrock z87 Pro4 motherboard with win 8.1 installed.

I failed to change the BIOS setting for the SATA from AHCI to RAID and the storage manager doesn't show the drives or the volume.

The OS is installed on a SSD which the RSM can see (along with the atapi drive)

The OS sees the raid fine and it appears to be working ok but one of the drives does sound like it is reinitializing during normal usage, frequency is about once a week to every 2 weeks.

The RSM is popping up an error notification though.

It says that: "Your system is reporting one or more events and data my be at risk."

So it appears that on some level it CAN see the drive's SMART information.

I tried changing the bios setting from ahci to RAID and I get a blue screen every time the pc restarts with the sata set to raid... the only fix it to change it back to ahci.

I have a new drive to replace the failing one but who knows if the array would rebuild properly? (add to that i'm not 100% certain which of the drives is failing)

Worth noting, the array was built in a different computer and both drives were moved to the pc they are in now, this is probably playing a factor in my issue as well.

The only course forward I can see is to wipe my boot partition, change the bios setting, and reinstall win 8.1.... I really don't want to do that though.

OR maybe if I disconnect one drive the RSM would show the remaining one? But then what if the good drive is the one I disconnect and it rebuilds based on the failing drive (which may or may not fail during the rebuild leaving me high and dry)

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AKair1
Beginner

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Dosmastr, have you installed Windows 8.1 after you change the setting from the SATA Mode? I know that every time you change SATA mode, it would be necessary to reinstall the OS.

Which version of the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology do you have installed?

AKair1
Beginner

Hi, Thanks for the info. I was afraid of that.

RST version is 12.8.0.1016

I'm just curious why it sort of sees the drives but doesn't show them. I'm about to pull the one I THINK is the failing unit now and see what happens

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

That was because the operating system was not installed after you change the SATA mode on your system.

0 Kudos
AKair1
Beginner

I think you misunderstood.

This issue was present before I changed ANY bios settings. The reason I changed bios settings was to try and resolve this... however, changing the SATA setting to anything but what it was when the OS was installed, (AHCI) gave me a BSOD, so I changed it back to ahci -- which is the same as when the OS was installed.

the issue was here before I changed any settings- I'm trying to figure out the cause and then a solution.

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

My recommendation for you at this point will be to back up all data on a different hard drive and start the RAID from scratch.

Change the SATA mode to RAID before the installation of the OS. Make sure you are able to see the hard drives under BIOS.

Access the Ctrl I menu and create the RAID volume you prefer.

If you start having the same behavior, you may need to replace the motherboard, it could be defective.

0 Kudos
AKair1
Beginner

Backup is commencing but I welcome any suggestions on how to get the intel rapid storage to SEE the disk to Build a new RAID

After removing the drive I think is bad, the intel RST software sees the replacement drive, but not the remaining RAID 1 disk.

I Think I'll still need to reinstall win 8.1,

Exactly how does the SATA setting in the bios effect RST?

Despite the flaws I raised, it appeared to be functioning as it should on the lower levels.
0 Kudos