2077 Discussions

PC doesn't boot after switching AHCI setting with RST driver update

T-Bone
Beginner

PC doesn't boot after switching AHCI setting with RST driver update

My system:
MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Intel Core i7-10700 Comet Lake 8-Core 2.9 GHz
CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Samsung 500GB SSD boot/OS drive
Win10 Home Full Retail USB, patched

I had this wksta already up and running for a while, with RST 16.x.x.x loaded and running in anticipation of adding a RAID1. I was getting ready to add the RAID, so I thought it might be a good idea to update RST to 18.7.6.xxxx prior, so I clicked the Download SetupRST button.

It quickly informed me that I wouldn't be able to use the RAID features (that I was about to install) unless I chg'd the AHCI setting. So, I selected the alternate option, and it informed me that it would have to boot to Safe Mode 1st to make that chg, and it warned me that there might be a boot problem.

I clicked OK, and it performed a shutdown. Sure enough, ever since, the wksta doesn't boot. It's stuck in some sort of loop, never reaching the UEFI/BIOS, nothing displayed on screen, the CPU fan starts and quickly stops, then tries again after a 5-sec wait. I can stop this cycle by leaning on the power button.

It will not recognize the orig Win10 USB or the MoBo driver DVD. I have tried to get some sort of boot loader using shift + power and win + r + power, to no avail. No success getting into uefi/bios using Del (per MoBo Mfr.), Esc, F1, F2, F8, F11, F12, ect.

Is there anything else to try before shorting the Clear CMOS (Reset BIOS) Jumper? Tanx in advance for any help!!

T-Bone

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

T-Bone, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

We are sorry to hear about this issue and we will be more than glad to assist you with this matter. 

In reference to this scenario, the way it works is that it is required to re-install the Operating System in your computer every time you change the Boot mode. For example, if the computer was working with AHCI mode, and now you need to use the Intel® RST tool, then, as you mentioned, it is necessary to change the setting in the BIOS from AHCI to RAID, in order to be able to create a RAID volume but, when you change it from AHCI to RAI or the other way around, it is necessary to re-install Windows* for the computer to be able to boot.

Here you have the user guide for Intel® RST with further details on how to create a RAID volume: 

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/chipsets/imsm/sb/irst_user_guide.pdf

In order to confirm how to access the BIOS settings and make the changes needed to be able to use Intel® RST, please get in contact directly with MSI Support since they handle all the technical information about their BIOS:

https://www.msi.com/support

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello T-Bone

Were you able to share our previous in which we share some information o how to properly set up a RAID array? Please let us know if you have further questions or concerns.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello T-Bone

We hope you were able to check our user guide to set up a RAID array on your system. As mentioned in our previous it is necessary to reinstall the Operating system if you change the boot mode from AHCI to RAID and vice-versa.

since we have not heard back from you we will no longer monitor this thread but feel free to open a new topic if you happen not to have more questions.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
T-Bone
Beginner

Hugo,  apologies for the delay in responding.  I have not yet been able to get the unit to boot.  My Plan "A" is to try shorting the Clear CMOS (Reset BIOS) Jumper on the MoBo.

Per Alberto R, when a change is made from AHCI to RAID or vice-versa, it is necessary to re-install Windows* for the computer to be able to boot.  That is my Plan "B".  T-Bone

0 Kudos
T-Bone
Beginner

Updates:

#1. My Plan "A" (shorting the Clear CMOS (Reset BIOS) Jumper on the MoBo) appears to have worked!! The PC boots, loads Windows, and appears to have restored all previous functionality.

#2. I mis-spoke about my existing rev of RST.  It is V17.8.0.1065

Thank you both for weighing in on this issue!!

T-Bone

0 Kudos