Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

RS2BL drivers and RST support?

ARaym2
Beginner

Hi,

I have an RS2BL080 (e or d? spec... the one that supports encryption key management) which has an LSI SAS2108* RAID-on-Chip setup.

Are TRIM and\or RST features which these cards already support (and I've just missed it)?

OR will Intel update the drives and software for these cards\chips?

----

backstory

I purchased a 730 series SSD a few weeks ago after seeing the marketing touting superior RAID-0 speeds, with the plan of getting a second in about month when I can' afford it.... unfortunately I didn't look close enough to realize my card wont support RST and I don't think it even has support for TRIM?

I'm just trying to decide what my options are going forward.

Ultimately I'd like to raid 2 (maybe 3 if I can afford it later) 730s with my current RAID card, get the speed, etc. and be done\happy with it!

At this stage if TRIM will be supported, I will probably just swallow the premium cost and grab a second 730 - I would be ok with this.

If not, then I have made a mistake getting the 730 because:

A) I need a larger drive

B) Could have chosen a cheaper drive without the premium the 730s have

C) I can't afford a new RAID Controller of the same quality (it was around $900 originally including BBU)

And I'd probably sell and go with something else, which would be a shame.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Victor_H_Intel
Employee

I've checked the information about your Intel(R) RAID Controller RS2BL080 and it is true that Currently TRIM is not supported on RAID configurations.

http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/sb/cs-031846.htm?wapkw=trim+raid What are the advantages of TRIM and how can I use it with my SSD?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Victor_H_Intel
Employee

I've checked the information about your Intel(R) RAID Controller RS2BL080 and it is true that Currently TRIM is not supported on RAID configurations.

http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/sb/cs-031846.htm?wapkw=trim+raid What are the advantages of TRIM and how can I use it with my SSD?

0 Kudos