Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Raid 1 degraded no emails from intel optane memory and storage app

RSTHatesMe
Beginner

So I have a brand new asus z790p board with raid 1 setup.  I have installed the newest drivers 19.5.1.1040 and the optane and storage app from the store version 18.1.1037.0 and set the notification settings for email up and no email is sent on raid 1 failure.  The test email works fine but soon as i shutdown pull a drive to simulate a failure and boot back up no email.  You see it degraded in the app and the notification center.  What do you have to do to get an email on a drive failure on a raid 1 array?  Why is the option in the app if it does not work?

RSTHatesMe_0-1678138982589.png

RSTHatesMe_1-1678139090961.pngRSTHatesMe_2-1678139123042.png

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

RSTHatesMe, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to this scenario, please verify the details shown in the following link, providing a description about email notifications when using Intel® RST:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057582/technologies/intel-rapid-storage-technology-intel-rst.html

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
RSTHatesMe
Beginner

Yes that link says no email features, but you can see in my screen shot the app does have that option. So what am to believe the app? or the article?

0 Kudos
RSTHatesMe
Beginner

Yes that link says no email features, but you can see in my screen shot the app does have that option. So what am to believe the app? or the article?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Quite simply, the email capability is newly restored, but the online documentation has not caught up with this fact.

IMHO, the issue with your experiment is that you power cycled. AFAIK, the app is not going to signal that a failure has occurred in this case; it is designed to alert you when an array fails on the fly. The BIOS is responsible for reporting anything prior to Windows being booted.

If you really must test this capability, you'll have to pull the SATA cable off at runtime. Not sure that is a great idea, however.

...S

0 Kudos
RSTHatesMe
Beginner

It does see it as degraded in the app and it did trigger a notification in notification center as expected but no email happened.  The bios does report an issue on post with the array.  Yeah I am a little leary of pulling an nvme hot. As I am not sure if the asus z790-p supports that feature.  Is this a bug in the app? Are you guys able to reach out to the developer and confirm the expected behavior of the app?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

ICS will need to escalate that question (all my old contacts there have retired too!). @Alberto_R_Intel - Tag you're it.

...S

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

RSTHatesMe, Thank you very much for your reply.

We will do further research on this matter. As soon as I get any updates, I will post all the details on this thread.

N. Scott Pearson, thank you very much for your comments.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello RSTHatesMe, I just received an update on this matter.

While we are still working on this case, could you please provide the SSU report using the link below and the test email you received when configuring the email notification? This is for escalation purposes and to do further research:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
RSTHatesMe
Beginner

The ssu report is attached.  The upload button link in the app did not work so it is attached as a .txt file. Also attached is a photo of the test email.

RSTHatesMe_0-1678395114631.png

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

RSTHatesMe, Thank you very much for providing the SSU report and the picture.

We will continue with our research on this matter. As soon as I get more details, I will post all of them on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
RSTHatesMe
Beginner

Have you found out any more info on this?

0 Kudos
RSTHatesMe
Beginner

Any update on this issue?  I have 6 machines waiting for the fix to be rolled into production.

Thanks

0 Kudos
RSTHatesMe
Beginner

Is there ever going to be any update on this?

0 Kudos