Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2067 Discussions

rst raid 1 both ssd drives failed

jmjvp
Beginner

HP Desktop PC 4 sites.  Installed 2 SSD drives in RAID 1 Win 10 to upgrade hard drives. After about a year of use, the pc's shut down and would not boot, RST shows both SSD drives FAILED and VOL 0  FAILED, not bootable. I am able to connect either of the drives to a USB adaptor and boot from them with the USB drive as the first bootable device. They operate normally but very slowly with the USB connection. All data and programs files are intact. This has happened at 4 locations out of about 50 installations. SanDisk 1 TB SSD Plus, Intel Option Rom 12.5.0.1815 on HP RP5810  Desktop PC. We have a few hundred sites with spinning drives that have had few problems, we have had to replace a few individual drives but were able to rebuild them through the RST program in Windows. The SanDisk utility shows no errors on the drives. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello jmjvp,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST). 

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. What is the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) version installed?

2. Are you using the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) driver from HP or Intel website?

3. Are all the units affected the HP RP5810 Desktop model?

4. Are you getting an error code?

5. Can you provide more details about your issue?

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
jmjvp
Beginner

IAStorUI.exe Ver 14.8.0.1042 dated 11/4/2015

I believe this was downloaded from the Intel Site.

We only upgraded some of the HP RP5800 models.

Not have not been notified of any error codes.

These pc's are used as back office file servers in Point of Sale applications in mainly Restaurants and Bars.

They are powered on 24 hr. a day. Over the past 2 years or so we had upgraded about 50 of these pc's with 2 SanDisk Pro 1Tb drives that were imaged at our office, installed at the customers site and we transferred their site specific files to the new drives. They were working fine until a few months ago when this started happening. We are replacing the failed SSD's with a pair of WD Blue Hard Drives that we have pre imaged at our office and can usually have them operating within 2 hours of our arrival at their site. The BIOS Raid Configuration shows that both drives are Failed in Red and the VOL 0 Failed in Red, not bootable. 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello jmjvp, 

Based on your issue, please try the following:

1. Reset the Startup Intel® RST Service:

• On the keyboard, press the Windows + R keys together to open a Run box. Then, type services.msc in the box and press Enter.
  • In the new window, find and right-click Intel® Rapid Storage Technology. Choose Properties.
  • Choose the General tab. Then, set the Startup type to Automatic and click OK to save the setting.

2. Update the Intel® RST driver

Part 1: Uninstalling the current Intel® RST driver

1. Press Windows + X keys.
  2. Select Device Manager.
  3. Find and expand the Disk drives catalog.
  4. Right-click Intel® Rapid Storage Technology and choose Uninstall device.

Part 2: Installing new Intel® RST driver

1. Go to the Intel Download Center and download the latest Intel® RST version.
  2. Tool: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15667/intel-rapid-storage-technology-intel-rst-user-interface-and-driver.html?wapkw=intel%20rst
  3. On the following open page, find and click SetupRST.exe.
  4. When it completes downloading, double-click the .exe file to install the driver.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello jmjvp,

After checking your thread, I would like to know if you need further assistance. 

If so, please let me know. 

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello jmjvp, 

I was checking your thread and see that we have not heard back from you.  

I’m going to close your post, but if you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to create a new thread. 

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos