Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4814 Discussions

Cannot access BMC on S2600WF

fboimr
Beginner

Hi,

I need to have access to BMC to my S2600WF.  Im accessing the IP with PC from the same network using browser but it shows The connection has timed out. Other attempts:

1. Access via IP  does not work
2. ipmitool -H <IP address> -U <username> returns:

Error: Unable to establish LAN session
Error: Unable to establish IPMI v1.5 / RMCP session

Questions:
1. How to have access to the BMC?
2. I compared MAC address of mgmt port on server chassis tag with ipmitool output, both are different on the last hex. Why they're different?
3. How to upgrade BIOS and BMC from my server current version as guide
line requires more recent version.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
RyanFeeko
New Contributor I

hey @fboimr just wondering if you have try to set the IP to other system and see if the IP is pingable or not?

Once the IP is pingable then set the IP to the server mgmt port and see try to ping again if got reply or not.

Additionally, you may refer the article on how to troubleshoot the BMC issue.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000087409/server-products/server-boards.html

Let me know if it helps

0 Kudos
Fikri_Intel
Employee

Hi fboimr,

Good day to you.

Regarding your query, have you tried troubleshooting as per Intel LKB?

Troubleshooting Intel® Baseboard Management Controller...

Regards,

Fikri_Intel

0 Kudos
fboimr
Beginner

Hi Thanks for the feedback.

@RyanFeeko @Fikri_Intel 
Other machines using the same IP can be ping-ed. I have followed https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000087409/server-products/server-boards.html 

image.png

Also set User Configuration.

I checked LED activity but not blinking. Only 1 LED is on and green. Ping cannot be done.

ipmitool -I lanplus -H host_IP -U user -P password sel clear --last 5

ipmitool: invalid option -- '-'

so i use ipmitool -I lanplus -H host_IP -U user -P password sel clear

Error: Unable to establish IPMI v2 / RMCP+ session

Power cycle also tried with 10 min gap before plug in but to not avail.

0 Kudos
RyanFeeko
New Contributor I

Hey @fboimr , based on your screenshot seems you are wrongly configure the IP address. The IP address should configure at "Dedicated Management LAN Configuration". I have highlighted the below picture. Also you may set the user account (User Configuration) too with password.

RyanFeeko_0-1716508484768.png

once you have configure the correct one then you will manage to access the BMC.

Pintu
Employee

Hello fboimr,

Greetings from Intel,

Below are some important updates regarding BMC (Baseboard Management Controller) and BIOS/Firmware for Intel® Server Boards and Intel® Server Systems.

If you're unable to access the BMC (Baseboard Management Controller) and ping is not functioning, several issues could be at play:

1. Ensure that the network settings for the BMC are correctly configured, including IP address, subnet mask, gateway, etc. Check the network cables and ports for connectivity issues.

2. If there are firewall rules in place, they might be blocking access to the BMC or preventing ping requests. Adjust firewall settings accordingly.

3. Kindly Check the BMC configuration settings to ensure that remote access is enabled and configured correctly. This includes settings such as IPMI over LAN and user access privileges.

4. Verify that there are no network issues affecting communication with the BMC, such as VLAN configurations, network congestion, or routing problems.

5. Ensure that the BMC itself is functioning properly and has not encountered any errors or faults. Check for any warning lights or error messages on the server hardware.

6. Double-check the physical connections between the server and the network infrastructure to ensure that there are no loose cables or hardware issues.

7. Kindly find the below link, if your facing any error: 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000087409/server-products/server-boards.html

Thank you for using Intel products and services.

Regards,

Manoranjan.

0 Kudos
fboimr
Beginner

Hi @Pintu ,

1. Ensure that the network settings for the BMC are correctly configured, including IP address, subnet mask, gateway, etc. Check the network cables and ports for connectivity issues.

I have set the correct settings as the picture i shared above. Change network cable but still the same. I cant ping from router neither.

2. If there are firewall rules in place, they might be blocking access to the BMC or preventing ping requests. Adjust firewall settings accordingly.

No firewall. All connection under the same subnet and different machines BMC from different vendors are OK.

3. Kindly Check the BMC configuration settings to ensure that remote access is enabled and configured correctly. This includes settings such as IPMI over LAN and user access privileges.

Kindly see my answer above

4. Verify that there are no network issues affecting communication with the BMC, such as VLAN configurations, network congestion, or routing problems.

We checked network utilization is normal. Router status is OK. We use VLAN configuration to differentiate the plane for BMC. All BMCs from different machine are OK. We just had this issue when we tried to enable BMC on this machine so no previous attempt was made regarding BMC enabling.
Note: When we tried DHCP mode, the router can detect the machine BMC port and leased an IP but cannot ping.

5. Ensure that the BMC itself is functioning properly and has not encountered any errors or faults. Check for any warning lights or error messages on the server hardware.

Any reference for this?

6. Double-check the physical connections between the server and the network infrastructure to ensure that there are no loose cables or hardware issues.

I checked and no loose cables. No HW issue as current network infra is working for other machines.

0 Kudos
Pintu
Employee

Hello fboimr,

Greetings for the day!

In accordance with this case, please configure the BMC using the dedicated management LAN configuration. If you have any additional questions, don't hesitate to contact us.

Thank you for using Intel products and services.

Regards,

Manoranjan.

0 Kudos
Fikri_Intel
Employee

Hello fboimr,

Good day to you.

Just wanted to follow up with you, has the issue been resolved after you config at the Dedicated Management LAN port?

If yes, let us know if we are good to close this thread.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Fikri_Intel

0 Kudos
fboimr
Beginner

hi @Fikri_Intel , i just set the Dedicated Management LAN port but still cannot access the BMC

0 Kudos
Fikri_Intel
Employee

Hi fboimr,

Thank you for your response.

Would you be able to share with us the screenshot after configuring the Dedicated Management LAN IP?

Have you managed to configure the User Configuration too?

Kindly confirm that you slotted the cable at the correct BMC port.

Regards,

Fikri_Intel

0 Kudos
fboimr
Beginner

Hi @Fikri_Intel ,
I have confirm that i put the cable into mgmt port.
Below are the SS:

fboimr_0-1716884764683.pngfboimr_1-1716884775238.png

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hi fboimr

Greetings from Intel Server support team.

Hope you are doing great.

Thank you for the response.

Could you please let us know the current version of BIOS.

If the BIOS is not at the latest version, we request you to please update the BIOS to the latest version and let us know the outcome.

Also, find the latest version of BIOS below.

Intel® Server Board S2600WF Family BIOS and Firmware Update Package for UEFI

Regards,

Mohammed Ali CM

0 Kudos
fboimr
Beginner

Hi @IntelSupport ,

Versions:
BMC: 2.48.89B32E0D
BIOS: SE5C620.86B.02.01.0012.070720200218

I do have concern since the BIOS version is old im afraid it will affect current running system due to possible crash, etc. And i also check that to use Intel® Server Board S2600WF Family BIOS and Firmware Update Package for UEFI the current BIOS version should be R02.01.0016. Please advice.

0 Kudos
Sachinks
Employee

Hello fboimr,

Thank you for the details. The older BIOS versions are available in our RDC account for reference. However you will need our Intel RDC premier account to access it. May I know if you have the RDC account access ?

You can know about it here :

RDC link : https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/resources-documentation/developer.html#gs.5k1ay6

How to Apply for an Intel® Resource and Documentation Center (RDC) and/or Intel® Developer Zone (Intel® DevZone) Account:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058073/programs/resource-and-documentation-center.html

If you don't have the access, kindly let us know so that we can check this for you.

Regards,

Sachin KS

0 Kudos
Fikri_Intel
Employee

Hi fboimr,

Good day to you.

Just wanted to follow up with you, may we know if you managed to access the BMC?

Regards,

Fikri O.

0 Kudos