Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

8 Core?

valerie
Beginner

I read this article while ago.........

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7874/haswelle-8-cores-x99-ddr4

Since I'm not IT expert, I like to understand this 8 cores. How this differ to previous cores such as i3, i5 and i7?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Haswell-E will have 8 physical cores per single package.The main difference between Haswell-E and four physical cores CPU of the same family is 2x increment in execution units available per hardware thread.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-core_processor

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

This announcement indicates also an introduction of the new variety of RAM (DDR-4), presumably for increased memory bandwidth. 

These early high-priced new desktop models aren't aimed to appeal to IT people; more likely, they appeal to gamers who want to see if they can get a 2 month advantage over their buddies.

I don't agree entirely with what Iliya said.  As I've worked with earlier 8- and 12-core Xeon CPUs, I don't expect any change there beyond the ability to support more hardware threads.  I don't know whether those gamers who might be the targets of this announcement have improved their ability to take advantage of multiple cores.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

>>>I don't agree entirely with what Iliya said>>>

I only mentioned what is the main difference between quad-core and octal-core CPU's.

>>>I don't know whether those gamers who might be the targets of this announcement have improved their ability to take advantage of multiple cores>>>

Only if the newest games can be able to use efficiently multiple cores to split effectively game workload into multiple hardware threads of execution.Here I mean main thread,I/O thread, AI thread,Physics thread etc....

0 Kudos
valerie
Beginner

Guys, both of you have good points regarding my question. Both of you answered well. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Jessie_P_
Beginner

In simple words it will have 8 processors I guess.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

>>>In simple words it will have 8 processors I guess.>>>

Haswell-E will have 8 physical cores per single package.

0 Kudos