Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

AAA Recompiling already compiled files

wkramer
Beginner
Hello,

I keep having problems with files recompiling although they just have been compiled.
For some projects I have to build the project several times before recompiling stops.
It didn't bother me very much before, but as projects are getting bigger the problem is getting more annoying.
It seems to happen mainly with programs that make extensive use of modules (although I am not really sure that that's the reason).
I first guessed that it had to do with circular references between modules, but I cannot find such a situation. The compiler/linker will probably detect such situations anyway doesn't it?
I guess it is a Microsoft Developer Studio problem. The same problem appears if I build these projects on other computers with CVF installed.
Has anyone else seen this problem? Is there a solution?

Thanks,

Walter Kramer
0 Kudos
22 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Just to remind folks - this forum is NOT a "support" channel, in that if you want to ask for support from Compaq, you need to write to vf-support@compaq.com While some Compaq engineers participate here, this is meant to be a user-to-user information exchange.

If you're having problems with the dependency checker, please send a ZIP file of your workspace to vf-support@compaq.com, along with a problem description, and we'll be glad to look at it.

Steve
0 Kudos
wkramer
Beginner
The following section from the release notes for CVF 6.5a is on this subject

It works the same as "manually" saving the files, but releases you from the "manually" part.

If the files created during a build appear to be out of date, and you are running Visual Fortran on Windows 95 or Windows 98 operating systems, there is a possibility that the timestamps on the files created during a build can be off by up to 2 seconds. With faster machines and performance improvements in the linker, this can cause the .OBJ files to have a later timestamp than the result of the linker. This makes some projects appear out-of-date after a build and thus Visual Fortran may incorrectly indicate that another link is needed. If you encounter this problem, you can work around it by adding a pre-link build rule to your project that takes 2 seconds or longer. Executing a console application that does a "CALL SLEEP(2)" will work fine.

Walter Kramer

p.s. I only experimented with it under Win98
0 Kudos