Software Archive
Read-only legacy content

AMD or Intel

Wilson__Jones
Beginner

Hello everyone!
This is my first post here, Happy New year.

My aging Sandy Bridge system has been in need of replacing for over two years but never got round to it. It's always the same, money is needed elsewhere and you keep delaying until your PC is over 8 years old!

I would like to make a premise by saying that I am not a fan of either blue or red team.
True, that all computers I owned in the past, except for one, were Intel. But back in 2006, I got my very first AMD Athlon 64, which was a very good CPU.

Right now I am looking to buy a new computer. Its main purpose is gaming at 1080p, from simple online card games, to triple-A titles.
I am not really interested in the performance benefits in other applications. Gaming is where I want my PC to perform at its best.

At first, I was going to buy Intel and the choice was between the i5 9600k and the i7 9700k (the 8700k seemed out of stock). But when the new Ryzen was released (3600, 3600x, 3700x) I was very impressed, especially over the Ryzen 5 3600. There was a budget CPU with plenty of gaming power. It could be paired with a relatively cheap B450 motherboard, unlike the Z390s for Intel. office 365

With any new technology, there are always a few rough edges to be smoothed out, so I waited a few months to see what would happen.

But as of now, there are quite a few people still complaining about high temperatures on idle and especially at full load. Some complaint of temps in the mid-80s at full load. I read that ZEN2 throttles at 95C and will shut down at 105C. I understand this, but the idea of having my new CPU at 80C only because I am watching a youtube video is worrying.

This is the point of this lengthy post, I am worried that after buying a Ryzen 5 3600, or maybe even a 3700X if possible, I will start having problems with high temps and also high core voltages. I am aware that many other people are quite happy with their new Ryzen and temps are in their mid-70s at load. I would be very happy if that was the case with me.

But are these real problems? Is it a good idea to buy a Ryzen 3000 o today? Is it a safe choice?

Can I use office 365 Smoothly on intel? As most of the time, it hangs.

On the other side of the rainbow, Intel only has the i7 9700K to offer (the i9 is too expensive and in my opinion unnecessary just to play games).
But even the i7 feels "old" as it is without HT and I'll need to spend more. But it seems more stable and with fewer problems than the Ryzen 3000, please correct me if I'm mistaken.

These are the parts I'd like to get, but I am a little uneasy about it. Should I venture into new territory and get the 3600/3700X or stick with Intel and the i7 9700K?

0 Kudos
0 Replies