Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Activation fails for Intel Parallel Studio XE 2015 Update 3

Le_T_1
Beginner

Hi all,
I wonder of my unsuccessful efforts to install Intel Parallel Studio XE 2015 Update3 (2015.3.187) neither using license file nor serial number! When the license (serial) number is issued, the installation process stalls with the message of "no Internet connection" for the license server. If I use the license file made online from Intel, I can finish the installation process with "offline activation", but any ifort or icc  call fails with error message.
When a lmgrd is called from flexlm directory, extracted from Intel Software Manager  (removed link)
, the error appears like (I already put my license file to /opt/intel/licenses/) :

Filename: "/usr/local/flexlm/licenses/license.dat"
... (lmgrd) License Path: "/usr/local/flexlm/licenses/license.dat"
... (lmgrd) FlexNet Licensing error:-1,359
... (lmgrd) System Error:2 No such file or directory

If I use chklic.x64 command for checking, I can see that the license is valid for many components, but 4 first digits are different from those in my serial number. Why?

Any help will be appreciated.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Le_T_1
Beginner

The error message after calling icc  or whatever (after instalation using my license file):

Error: A license for CCompL is not available now (-15,570,115).

A connection to the license server could not be made.  You should
make sure that your license daemon process is running: both an
lmgrd process and an INTEL process should be running
if your license limits you to a specified number of licenses in use
at a time.  Also, check to see if the wrong port@host or the wrong
license file is being used, or if the port or hostname in the license
file has changed.

License file(s) used were (in this order):
    1.  Trusted Storage
**  2.  /opt/intel/licenses/<removed>
**  3.  /export/apps/intel/composer_xe_2015.3.187/bin/intel64/../../Licenses
**  4.  /root/Licenses
**  5.  /Users/Shared/Library/Application Support/Intel/Licenses
**  6.  /export/apps/intel/composer_xe_2015.3.187/bin/intel64/*.lic

icc: error #10052: could not checkout FLEXlm license.

I saw in the /usr/local/share/macrovision/storage/FLEXnet two file INTEL_****-tsf.data and its backup. The place was created as "Trusted Storage"  by IntelParallel XE package with the comment that "permissions are set", etc..., but still cannot be accessed by activation procedure.

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

-Start the product installer
-When it comes to product activation, the default activation option will be "Use Serial Number"
Do not use this option, but select "Alternative Activation > Use License Server" instead and specify the server name and port of the license server. 

Please refer to 'Intel® Software License Manager - Getting Started Tutorial'

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-software-license-manager-getting-started-tutorial

Remove any old eval licenses from the directory, as well.

0 Kudos
Le_T_1
Beginner

Thank you, Devorah H.,

Following your advice, I used the license server and could successfully activate my installation!!! Problem was in incorrect port@host recognition by the program.

But I still don't know why the other activation methods are not working. Before I used to put in the serial number.

0 Kudos
Le_T_1
Beginner

Hi eveyone again,

Am I missing something?

Following the advice I have installed Intel Parallel Studio XE Cluster Edition (shortly, Intel PS) on my Rocks 6.2 frontend  and it works well on the frontend. But when I go to my nodes, so nodes cannot see the licenses activated and the Intel PS's compiler call fails, though the license file is seen from shared  /share/apps/flexlm directory? (The default for INTEL_LICENSE_FILE is /opt/intel/licenses, that does not fit for Rocks cluster, so I added license file to /share/apps/flexlm dir also and use the following in the root's .bashrc: export INTEL_LICENSE_FILE=/opt/intel/licenses:/share/apps/flexlm). The transfer of environment for Intel PS does not exist on the nodes, neither for the others environment variables listed in root/user .bashrc files.

The installing Intel PS on all nodes can resolve or not? And in this case, need I write the frontend name row in machine.LINUX file?

Thank you for reply.

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

Hello,

We do not provide support for Rocks. However, in your case you may want to install the Intel(R) Parallel Studio in shared directory and then source the Intel(R) Compiler for the nodes prior to compiling. (Instead of installing Intel(R) PS in default directory on head node, moving license to shared directory and running the Intel(R) Compiler without sourcing libraries and other directories)

Regards,

Devorah
 Intel Developer Support 

0 Kudos
Le_T_1
Beginner

Dear Devorah,

Well, that was the Rocks's  problem and I fixed it.

Now I am facing a big new problem: my serial/license  file is valid until April, 2016. But in re-installed cluster (with the same MAC address, the same host name) I cannot install Intel Parallel XE nor 2016 neither 2015 Update 3 version, though I went through registration again, downloading and installing again the License Manager, etc.  By using License Manage (version 2.3 for 64 bit) I received each time the reply " The license server you provided does not have a valid license for this product", with the using Offline activation (Alternative activation) - "The license file(s) you provide is not valid for this product". Why?

Recently I have read that somebody is facing the similar problem of activation, but only with new version (2016 one).

Please, help me go through this problem.

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
Le_T_1
Beginner

After the killing lmgrd and INTEL processes and logout/login by root, I could activate the license for Intel Parallel Studio XE 2015 Cluster Edition Update 3. The license stays unchanged after the visit back to the registrationcenter.intel.com page, and it is valid only for 2015's edition, not for 2016 version.

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

Education licenses are not upgraded yet. You will receive an email about the upgrade.

Regards,

Devorah

0 Kudos
Le_T_1
Beginner

Thanks! I have receive an email with the new license.

0 Kudos