Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Android Device Emulator- Error Message: 'Unfortunately, Launcher Has Stopped'

SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
I wonder if somebodyhad experienced an error message 'Unfortunately, Launcher Has Stopped' in Android Device Emulator.
I have that errorfrom time to time andit is not clear what causes it. A screenshot is enclosed:

44774-LauncherHasStopped.jpg

Best regards,
Sergey
0 Kudos
44 Replies
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II

My question is why emulator for ARM CPUsis so slow? Is it faster for x86 CPUs?

The ARM CPU is completely emulated. That means that every ARM instructions needs to be translated to
an x86 instruction and than run on your host machine.
Because of this overhead it is really slow...

[SergeyK] I'm sure for 99% it is slow because simple matters are over-complicated and codes
poorly or neveroptimized.

Alexander,

I've been usingMicrosoft's emulators for ARM CPUs formore than12 years ( sinceeMbedded VC++ v4.0 times...).

Have you ever tried to debug an application created asa Smart Device projectin VS 2005/2008 Professional Edition?
Have you ever used a Windows CE emulator in aWindows CEPlatform Builderversion 5 or 6?
Have you seen how fastMicrosoft's emulators for ARM CPUare?

If No, please take a look you will bereally impressed. Ifwe call it as "War of Emulators" then it is clear that
Google lost the battle.

0 Kudos
Alexander_W_Intel
Quoting iliyapolak

emulator.exe
emulator-arm.exe
emulator-x86.exe

So its an exe image and two binary-translators implemented also as an exe image.Was there any emulator.exe related crash?

The Emulator is based on QEmu.

Alex

0 Kudos
Alexander_W_Intel

Alexander,

I've been usingMicrosoft's emulators for ARM CPUs formore than12 years ( sinceeMbedded VC++ v4.0 times...).

Have you ever tried to debug an application created asa Smart Device projectin VS 2005/2008 Professional Edition?
Have you ever used a Windows CE emulator in aWindows CEPlatform Builderversion 5 or 6?
Have you seen how fastMicrosoft's emulators for ARM CPUare?

If No, please take a look you will bereally impressed. Ifwe call it as "War of Emulators" then it is clear that
Google lost the battle.

Sergey,

I never worked on Windows* CE so I never used the emulators you referring to. Yes, the Android* emulator is not really fast. Thats the reason why we developed the Intel HAXM to improve the perfomance.

From my personal perspecitve: I am not using the emulator much, because I usually connected a real phone to the development machine and the applications are automatically deployed to that real phone. The main usage I have for the emulator is to see how the apps behave on different screen sizes.

So if you want to have a fast emulator, give Intel HAXM a try :-)

Alex

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Here is some additional information:

- Android emulator with 'x86' system image is ~2.5 times faster than Android emulator with 'ARM' system image

- Android emulator with 'x86' system image is very stable (!) and I didn't have any error messages

- Android emulator with 'ARM' system image isunstable and different problems happen all the time. Here is a
screenshot with another UI problem ( PgUp orPgDn pressed several times):

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
...From my personal perspecitve: I am not using the emulator much, because I usually connected a real
phone to the development machine and the applications are automatically deployed to that real phone...

[SergeyK] It is clear that Iwill need a real device, for examplea cheaptablet with Android 4.x.x...

So if you want to have a fast emulator, give Intel HAXM a try :-)

[SergeyK] Thank you, I will try.

Best regards,
Sergey

0 Kudos
Alexander_W_Intel
Here is some additional information:

- Android emulator with 'x86' system image is ~2.5 times faster than Android emulator with 'ARM' system image

- Android emulator with 'x86' system image is very stable (!) and I didn't have any error messages

- Android emulator with 'ARM' system image isunstable and different problems happen all the time. Here is a
screenshot with another UI problem ( PgUp orPgDn pressed several times):

I'm happy to hear that the x86 system image provides you a faster and more stable experience :-) Thanks for the nice comment!

Alex
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
...The Emulator is based on QEmu.

Where could I find the source codes?

Best regards,
Sergey

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
...The Emulator is based on QEmu.

Where could I find the source codes?

Reiteration: The question is not answered. Please take a look and thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Sergey

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
...- Android emulator with 'x86' system image is very stable (!) and I didn't have any error messages

When I configured the emulator with these settings:

I had lots of error messages, like:

Process is not responding
Would you like to close it?
( with two choices 'Wait' or 'OK' )

I wonder if these error message are due to some timeouts inside of the emulator?

0 Kudos
Alexander_W_Intel
Hi Sergey,

the whole Android sources including the emulator can be downloaded from http://source.android.com . This is a huge git clone. If you just want to browse the code, you can use this webpage:http://androidxref.com/source/xref/external/qemu/

Hope this helps you!
Alex
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Thank you for your responses, Alex!
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Quoting iliyapolak

emulator.exe
emulator-arm.exe
emulator-x86.exe

So its an exe image and two binary-translators implemented also as an exe image.Was there any emulator.exe related crash?

The Emulator is based on QEmu.

Actually it is very easy to check...

..\tools>emulator-x86.exe -version

Android emulator version 20.0 (build_id OPENMASTER-391819)
Copyright (C) 2006-2011 The Android Open Source Project and many others.
This program is a derivative of the QEMU CPU emulator (www.qemu.org).

0 Kudos
chris_b_5
Beginner

Hi there, this is quite a big bump but from what I can see this is the best thread for my problem:

I love HAXM, it's great for my theme development in eclipse. The emulator runs very fast. The problem is with some specific apps like (AI Type Keyboard, NEXT Launcher or QQ Launcher) that simply give the error ".... has stopped working". I've looked for a solution everywhere but I came up empty. Could you please help?

0 Kudos
Alexander_W_Intel

Hi Chris,

can you provide a logcat output for the errors? That would really help to figure out what is the problem. 

Thanks,
Alex 

0 Kudos
Ashwin_S_Ashok
Beginner

try to increase the vm heap size..

it will get solved...

0 Kudos
JLuna5
New Contributor I

probably your code is not complete.

0 Kudos
shadab_khatib
Beginner

Is this error occuring while you try to compile and run your own Launcher application or is it the pre-installed Launcher program causing the error?

Because this error generally occurs with me when I have not provided an interface i.e. a xml interface to the java function in the class or activity file.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...try to increase the vm heap size... It did not help when I tried. >>... >>...Is this error occuring while you try to compile and run your own Launcher application or is it the pre-installed >>Launcher program causing the error?.. It happened with pre-installed Launcher program and the problem is solved some time ago. I simply moved development to a significantly faster computer system.
0 Kudos
Michael_K_7
Beginner

Sergey Kostrov wrote:
Quoting Alexander Weggerle (Intel)
Quoting iliyapolak

Absolutely agreeand I simply don't have time to do this.All Androidsource codesare available

@Sergey
What is the 'Launcher' is it part of an Emulator?

The Launcher is the application that provides the homescreen for Android...

Here is a technical detail:The problem/issueis related to 'com.android.launcher' Java class.

I need specific information how to fix that problem...

0 Kudos
Michael_K_7
Beginner

Sergey Kostrov wrote:
Quoting Alexander Weggerle (Intel)
Quoting iliyapolak

Absolutely agreeand I simply don't have time to do this.All Androidsource codesare available

@Sergey
What is the 'Launcher' is it part of an Emulator?

The Launcher is the application that provides the homescreen for Android...

Here is a technical detail:The problem/issueis related to 'com.android.launcher' Java class.

I need specific information how to fix that problem...

0 Kudos
Michael_K_7
Beginner

Com.android.launcer error for mls iqtalk any help?

0 Kudos