Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

App Designer buggy?

Ryan_H_3
Beginner

Hi,

I just wanted to ask what the current state of the app designer is?

After using it for a day I've found quite a few issues and I'm thinking I'll just end up coding everything by hand...

I've just been using it for app framework, either from a blank app, or one of the samples.

• I find I frequently have to press the reload button because the designer is unresponsive (I can't drag new elements onto it)
  • The header title on the page doesn't often show, I have to reload for it to show
  • On changing page, sometimes the header from the previous page is shown (it isn't a sub-page). It seems that the editor isn't changing page properly. I haven't hand edited the html, so I haven't messed it up.
  • When I set a buttons action to go to a page, it puts the "activate_page" script in, which doesn't do anything for me. Sometimes it works in an app, sometimes it doesn't.

This is just my evaluation after a days usage.

Am I right in thinking it isn't ready for any serious use, it's more of a beta quality tool?

I really love having a UI designer, but it seems that this one is quite unusable?, I've spent most of my time just trying to get it to work in basic tasks. (For instance at the moment it is displaying the UI, but I can't click on any elements to select them. If I right click I get a delete option, but I can't select them...)

Thanks, Ryan

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ryan_H_3
Beginner

So weird.

I'm on to "Test9" and it decides to work this time.

It is showing transitions for page changes...

The only thing I can think that I did different was to not add a header first. I added a button first this time.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

App Designer can be finicky. The lead engineer for App Designer spends a good amount of time on this forum, so he does monitor the feedback and does want to improve that aspect of the product. If you are more comfortable doing your layout by hand, that may be your best option. You will, ultimately, have better control that way.

0 Kudos
Mark_Zeng
Beginner

It's buggy and lack of many options and control. Tried few times, give up. Layout by code is faster than App Designer.

0 Kudos