Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17060 Discussions

Can individual cores be turned off?

Ram_S_1
Beginner

As an hobbyist developer, electricity cost is highest on my concern. So I just wanted to know whether it is technically possible to run the number of cores in proportional to power available off solar panels? 

Let's say morning time, panels are able to generate 100 watts (assuming 300 TDP for KNL, 60 cores ), so without any expense on storage mechanism, I turn on only 20 cores, give or take some for overhead power consumptions.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

If you run your applications with a specified number of threads pinned to specific cores, you may hope the unused cores remain at idle.  Easiest way is by KMP_PLACE_THREADS environment variable of Intel OpenMP.   It doesn't look like this will adapt MIC well to the environment you describe.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

My idling 5110P's report 99W and 101W (when micsmc running on host). This is not counting the watts consumed by the host.

I think your best bet is when not using MIC is to shut it down. This would introduce additional latency at the time you want to run the next MIC app (time to start up the MPSS and MIC(s)).

You can add the startup and shutdown to your .sh or .bat files.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos