17060 Discussions

Cell Computer Project

mihail_m
Beginner
Hello everyone,

I would like to show my project:

Cell Computer Project

http://genetechnics.webs.com/

I have been working on it for a year and a half - there is a thread on the Cellular & Handheld Application Development forum that is read-only since this month and I would like to discuss the ideas of the project on this forum.

Best regards,

Michael Molin

GeneTechnics Company
0 Kudos
280 Replies
James_M_Intel1
Employee

Michael,

Your posting is a bit too open ended. What exactly would you like to discuss in this forum? Best regards with your project.

Thanks,
Lester

0 Kudos
mihail_m
Beginner
Thanks for your response, Lester.

I would like to discuss the mobile software development concerning the two displays concept as for the prototype device in my project. I think this tendency is promising considering the design of Nintendo DS and DS Lite with two horizontally oriented displays. The key idea is to distribute the navigation (menu, dialogs, external links - ads) to the second display-keyboard for better presentation of core information (documents, projects, the content of Web sites) on the main display.

Regards,

Michael
0 Kudos
mihail_m
Beginner

Hello everyone,

Recently I have finished the development ofthe operating system's concept for the cell computer. I would really appreciate your comments and additions.

Also, there is good news - a prototype of the future two display UI's implementation.

http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/12/13/sony.ericsson.concept/

Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
mihail_m
Beginner
Hello,

I would like to thank Bill Gates for his keynote at CES 2007. He really gave me the exact definition of the cell computer - connected experiences means connected user interfaces.

Regards,

Michael
0 Kudos
mihail_m
Beginner
Hello everyone,

I have renamed the project. Now it's called "Cell Computer Platform".

Regards,

Michael
0 Kudos
mihail_m
Beginner
Hello,

I would like to thank Clayne Robison for his post on Intel Software Network Blogs and useful contribution: an exact abbreviation for cell computer platform - a cell PC.

The fact is that since launching a new look for blogs I've tried several times to comment posts but Wordpress server doesn't answer until I send a comment second time but anyway it doesn't post it. Well, it's a long way from Western Siberia :o) BTW, it was -47 C here this morning.

Regards,

Michael
0 Kudos
mihail_m
Beginner
Some highlights:

1. Implementation of Microsoft Office 2007 Fluent UI.

2. Clear view of Web content in a document window of the main display and easy navigation using the site map located on the second display.

3. Internet advertising - showing the standard size banners and contextual advertisements on the second display.

4. Local advertising channel for network operators - broadcasting of SMS and MMS messages for showing them as slides on the second display.

Regards,

Michael
0 Kudos
mihail_m
Beginner
Hello everyone,

I would like to sharethe link to the article of Bernard Cole, author of many publications on embedded systems design. I wrote a commentary to this article:

http://www.embedded.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=46200869

In addition to the post, I found some very good news on EETimes website about a new power-saving method for LCD and OLED displays due to a special layout of subpixels.

PenTile RGBW display technology, Clairvoyante Inc.

http://www.mobilehandsetdesignline.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=193502156

Also, this article about the technology:

http://www.digitaljournalonline.com/news/125/ARTICLE/1204/2006-10-08.html

Regards,

Michael
0 Kudos
mihail_m
Beginner

Hello,

Really good news this morning - Motorola V9m.

http://www.phonenews.com/content/view/2093/9/

It has 2-inch touch-sensitive external display. The next standard for multimedia phones.It's a big step to thecell PC. Bravo, Motorola! Now, my hope on Apple and Microsoft to create the Cell PC Platform basedon new Intel's processors.

Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
mihail_m
Beginner
I've changed the layout of the Compact QWERTY Keyboard in a symbols department. The question mark is forming a line with comma and dot now. It's perfect.

Michael
0 Kudos
Jason_Z_Intel
Employee

Interestinginformation.

At Intel Developer Forum 2007, Intel announcedthe Ultra Mobile Platform 2007, formerly codenamed "McCaslin", designed for use in Ultra-Mobile PCs (UMPC) and in Mobile Internet Devices (MID).

Here is a video "Ultra Mobile: It Lets Me be Me", shows the future usages of emerging ultra mobile terminal devices, which will bring full PC capabilities and anywhere, anytime Internet experience to end users.

One example of new ultra mobile terminal is HTC's Shift based on Intel McCaslin platform, supporting 3G, which will be available in 2H, 2007.

Jason

0 Kudos
mihail_m
Beginner
"I tend to believe that the phone will move up and the PC will move down and there won't be any special devices categories, because the power of being able to run any applications, wither it's media, reading, navigation, is very strong," Gates said."

Second that.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/17/gates_desktop_phone_office/

"While the PDA has existed as a sort of mini-PC for years, Microsoft said it would encourage phone manufacturers to formalize the transition of the phone to a mobile PC.

Microsoft Research chief Craig Mundie said that Microsoft has a research project called "Fone+" that would allow the phone to work with a TV as a secondary display, and one that could allow video stored on the device to be played back on the television.

"I think that the Microsoft view is that the PC will continue to evolve in many radical ways including the most radical architectural changes in 30 years," Mundie said. "I think that this will occur in about five years time." The challenge for WinHEC attendees was to make that happen, he said."

http://www.physorg.com/news98525702.html

"People are recognizing how important technology is, how the combination of technology and service is a very strong combination." - aQuantive CEO Brian McAndrews.

The combination of digital TV and mobile advertising solutions based on Microsoft Silverlight and SideShow technologies, I would add.

http://www.adweek.com/aw/national/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003588021

"Display maker Samsung SDI Co., Ltd. unveiled Thursday (May 17) what it claimed is the world's thinnest active-matrix organic light emitting diode (AM-OLED) display module for mobile phones. The display uses low-temperature polysilicon technology.

Samsung SDI said its 0.52-mm-thin, 2.2-inch AM-OLED module approaches the dimensions of a 1.7-mm TFT-LCD module considered to be the slimmest among the existing LCD modules available for mass production.

"We plan to mass produce the new AM-OLED module during the third quarter of this year," said Yoo Eui-Jin, vice president of AM-OLED Business at Samsung SDI. He added that Samsung SDI is "completely ready now" to begin volume production of the new module once orders are received.

The new module, developed using Samsung's proprietary "module slimming" technology, features QVGA (240 by 320) resolution and a 10,000:1 contrast ratio.

A Samsung SDI spokesman said display module power consumption, on average, is as much as 40 percent less than the existing TFT-LCDs.

Samsung expects to produce about 15 million AM-OLED modules per month for a wide range of handset displays, according to Yoo."

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199601524

Michael
0 Kudos
mihail_m
Beginner
Hello everyone,

This time I would like to share the link to the demo of the phone with TV having a very good design - Casio W52CA. The demo also shows how the rotary mechanism of the display is working - I'm planning to use the principles of this design in the cell PC. The dimensions of Casio W52CA - W49H104D21mm.

http://k-tai.casio.jp/products/w52ca/

Michael
0 Kudos
Jason_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi Michael,

I can not read the content in Japanese. I guess that it is phone which allow user to watch the TV on phone screen, but do not know what distribution mechanism for TV content being adopted on this phone.

TV is an attractive usage on mobile terminals, from big screen notebook PC, to portable size UMPC and MID, and to smaller screen mobile phone. According to the trend of convergence of Computer, Communication, CE and Content, more and more mobile users can watch TV on the go, and multiple technologies are being used and tried to offer the service, including DVB-T&H, ISDB-T, T-DMB, S-DMB, MediaFlo, etc. Here is the article of "mobile TV: opportunities and challenges". UI is a big challenge for mobile TV applications.

What do you think of Mobile TV?

Jason

0 Kudos
mihail_m
Beginner
Hi Jason,

I think we aren't there until a breakthrough in battery technologies for the capacity at least ten times higher or launching new high-performance processors with lower power consumption accordingly.

In general, I consider the UMPCs and MIDs as the best choice for mostly a stationary car-based media center and GPS navigator. When they will have the SSDs with big capacity, they would also be a good storage device for photo and video files.

As for the Internet, I would be sceptical enough to call the UMPC and MID platforms a proper choice for Web browsing on the go - zooming of Web sites used now is not a part of Web experience on the standard PC platform. So the subnotebooks with 11 and 12-inch displays are the optimal choice for mobile computing as the most portable devices with standard keys and a proper display for running a desktop OS and applications now.

In addition, it's a reality that the only device we are using for everyday's communications anytime and anyplace is a cell phone. And my goal to make access to the Web content on "optimized for Mobile Web" sites really comfortable on a cell PC by providing a separate display for the site menu and advertisements.

It's a mobile advertising solution for businesses and network operators - everyone will have an additional ad screen that would make it a really effective tool for broadcasting business information.

Michael
0 Kudos
Jonas_K_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Why would battery life be so important for Mobile TV?

If we take DVB-H as an example it has a lot of battery saving features bulit in, and thus you can watch TV for longer time than you can watch a movie from the harddrive or DVD drive. Thus most terminals should be able to handle 2-4 hours a least today.

I would not think that people will watch mobile TV for hours and hours, so I would guess batterylife is one of the least obstacles mobile TV has to cross.

How many hours of mobile TV would you imagine you would watch in a day?

Best Regards

Jonas

0 Kudos
mihail_m
Beginner
Hi Jonas,

Any video on a mobile device is power-consuming. I don't imagine that anyone would watch TV on a small screen when he/she has a big TV.

Michael
0 Kudos
Jason_Z_Intel
Employee

I agree; when people are at home, they prefer watching a big-screen TV. That's the concept of Apple iTV, which brings the features of YouTube and displayvideo to a big-screen TV.

But people still want to watch TV or video while on the go. If they have a half hour or more of free time while moving from one place to another, say on a train or in the airport, it makes sense they would watch mobile TV for a while. Power consumption and battery life are important for the notebook, UMPC and MID; the existing technologies and products are good enough to support TV playback for more than two hours.

Will you agree that Mobile TV will hava a big potential market?

Jason

0 Kudos
mihail_m
Beginner
The success of any service depends on its price and availability of competing services. Video on demand is far more profitable and more comfortable for users to plan when they have the time to watch it. The root is in the availability of the unlimited data plans for reasonable price. For example, GPRS (some operators offer Mobile TV via this technology) costs about 0.3$ for 1Mb. Another question is network load while extensive data transfer.

Michael
0 Kudos
mihail_m
Beginner
Hello everyone,

At last, I have the time to read and watch Steve Jobs' interview at D conference.

First, I like his "hobby" attitude to the new areas of business. Fairly. My project is also like a hobby - my main research is focused on AI-based expert translation. The technology that mirrors two languages - English and Russian.

The part of his interview I would like to emphasize is:

"Walt Mossberg - On the technical side... could a Mac OS X app run on an iPhone?

Steve Jobs - We don't think that's a good idea. We don't have a mouse, we don't have pull-down menus... we have a very different user interface on the phone."

Why to just stop on an AV player and phone? It's an Apple's chance to win the market and everyone would forget about the cell phone as a category as we did about the pagers. And the developers would get a standard platform.

Michael
0 Kudos