Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Compaq Fortran compiler for Intel

Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Hi -

Does anyone knwo if/when the COmpaq Fortran compiler will be available for INTEL linux???

THANKS SO MUCH for any help!!!!!!

Rob
rwa@baker1.bio.purdue.edu
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
No announcements have been made. We're considering it.

Steve
0 Kudos
shane-braendler
Beginner
Are there any indications that COMPAQ is going to support fortran for intel based linux applications?

I'm currently working on a project that is porting COMPAQ VMS fortran to COMPAQ unix fortran and would like to be able to test the code on a linux box also. Does anybody know of a linux fortran compiler that will give the same accuracy as COMPAQ fortran on a linux box?
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I would say the omens are favorable. Check back with us around the end of June and we may have more to say on the matter.

Steve
0 Kudos
cfrieler
Beginner
Steve,
I know this is premature with no official announcement yet, and I don't want to have feature creep delay availability, but....
If Compaq would include OpenMP and MPI support in a Linux Fortran I will definitely upgrade. In fact I will believe that Christmas has come early.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
MPI is just a library - what do you think the compiler would have to do special to support MPI?

As for OpenMP - how about a pony instead? Seriously, I can guarantee that if we were to do a compiler for x86 Linux, OpenMP would not be in the V1 product. That's a large chunk to bite off and support on a new platform. We aren't doing it yet on Alpha Linux. Linux' SMP support has been shaky up until recently - our OpenMP implementation depends on a lot of customizations in Tru64 UNIX, so it would not be straightforward to port that to Linux.

Steve
0 Kudos