Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Confusion over Parallel Studio 2016 licensing?

AndrewC
New Contributor III

I have current maintenance and support for Windows and Linux Parallel Studio 2016 until Jan 2017. The license is a single user license. ( not floating). I assumed I would need a new license file.

I downloaded the XE 2016 version , and then received the email

"Thank you for renewing your support services for the Intel® Parallel Studio XE Professional Edition for Fortran and C++ Linux*.

Your new renewal license file (.lic file) is attached to this email. It entitles you to Intel® Premier Support services and product updates through January 02, 2017. "

However, NO license file was attached. I then went to the "Manage licenses" section of my account, and now I am being asked for a "Host ID" to activate my serial number.

So has the licensing model changed that we now need a "Host ID" for activation?? If so, then I really would have liked some warning about this. Host ID's are a PITA to deal with.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AndrewC
New Contributor III

Ok, found the answer in the release notes... but really, this is pretty significant, and should have been more upfront

"5.1 License Changes
The ‘named-user’ license provisions in the Intel software EULA (available as ‘EULA.rtf’ or ‘EULA.txt’ in the same product directory as this release note) changed to only allow the software to be installed on up to three systems, tracked by the system host ID. In order to install on another system after you have reached this limit, you will need to release an old system host ID from the registration system."

0 Kudos
Light_Intel

The issue was documented in https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/required-product-license-upgrade-for-intel-parallel-studio-xe-2016

You don't need a license file to install the upgrade if you are installing with an Internet connection. All you need is a serial number which was provided to you. Under our new licensing model the named-user license is unique per system. Only if you intend to install the upgrade on a system that is not connected to the Internet will you need to generate a license file. For more information see https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/how-do-i-get-a-license-file-for-an-offline-installation-of-intel-parallel-studio-xe-2016

Noga - Intel Developer Support

0 Kudos