Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Convertible EPT-violation #VE

ja123
Beginner

According to a number of Intel press and documentation, it seems that the Haswell processors should have the new processor feature that allows certain EPT violations to be converted to #VE (Virtualization Exception) so that these violations can be made without VM exits.

I have looked into a number of different Haswell processors, but none of them has this support, i.e. bit 18 of IA32_VMX_PROCBASED_CTLS2 MSR is 0. This feature is not supported on for example i7-4770, i7-4790, i7-4940.

Is this convertible #VE feature available on commodity processors yet? If so, which processors?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Quoc-Thai_L_Intel

For a list of Intel(R) processors supporting the Intel(R) Virtualization Technology: click here.  See this related thread for more details..

-Thai

0 Kudos
ja123
Beginner

The list gives a summary of product with the features at a coarse-grained level. It only states if a given processor or processor family supports Intel VT-x or Intel VT-x with EPT. These classes of technologies can have multiple finer-grained features. For example, Intel VT-x can support a variety of features such as EPTP-switching/VMFUNC, VMCS Shadowing, convertible #VE, etc.

I was wondering if there is a link where we could check if a given processor has a specific feature within Intel VT.

Thanks!

0 Kudos