Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Core i7 Processor description listing VT-x2 features

aravindh
Beginner
Is there a description listing that tells us the individual VT-x2 features (EPT, VPID, Unrestricted Guest etc) that the various Core i7 CPUs supprt? For example some Core i7 CPUs support EPT but not Unrestricted Guest. How can I determine this kind of information before buying the CPU?

Thanks,
Aravindh
0 Kudos
4 Replies
David_O_Intel1
Employee
Have been inquiring internally about this. Thanks for your patience.

David Ott

0 Kudos
David_O_Intel1
Employee
Difficult request. I've talked to several internal divisions by now but a comparative guide with that kind of detail is hard to come by, in part because the same product can have different OEM arrangements and levels of feature support.

Would be much easier to ask a specific question about a specific product. Do you have one in mind?

David Ott

0 Kudos
aravindh
Beginner
Difficult request. I've talked to several internal divisions by now but a comparative guide with that kind of detail is hard to come by, in part because the same product can have different OEM arrangements and levels of feature support.

Would be much easier to ask a specific question about a specific product. Do you have one in mind?

David Ott

Does any spin of the Nehalams have the Unrestricted Guest feature? Which processors will include this feature in the future?

Thanks,
Aravindh
0 Kudos
David_O_Intel1
Employee
No, it is not available on any Nehalem processors. Look for it, however, in upcoming server platform releases.

This feature is also known as "real-mode virtualization" and is described publically in the software development manuals at:

http://www.intel.com/products/processor/manuals/index.htm

Note the 2-volume System Programming Guide.

David Ott
0 Kudos