Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17060 Discussions

Does Xeon Phi 5110P work with Core i7 860 CPU?

wkbjerry
Beginner

Does Xeon Phi 5110P work with Core i7 860 CPU? Any requirement on the motherboard?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
wkbjerry
Beginner

Attached is the dmesg printouts:

mic_probe 1:0:0 as board #0
mic 0000:01:00.0: device not available (can't reserve [mem 0x00000000-0x1ffffffff 64bit pref])
pci_enable failed board #0
mic: probe of 0000:01:00.0 failed with error -22
mic: No MIC boards present. SCIF available in loopback mode

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

I retired my Smackover with early core I7 from MIC work nearly 2 years ago when the early MIC stack became incompatible with the latest host BIOS upgrade.  I haven't heard of a BIOS for that host which would support the memory map range required for KNC.

Not to mention the aggravations of the BIOS which can't shut the box down under software control and can't reliably get to the grub menu on startup.

0 Kudos
wkbjerry
Beginner

Thanks, TimP.

This means I have to upgrade my machine. Any suggestions on any motherboard that will support the 64bit pcie addressing?

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/sales-briefs/xeon-phi-coprocessors-where-to-buy.pdf

I'm surprised that these are being sold separately, apparently without documentation of host BIOS and other support requirements.  The vendors on the poster ought to be able to make recommendations.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

If Xeon Phi  will ever be available for general public at price of more than 2000$ I think that for those interested in HPC better option is to buy dual high-end GPU's (not Quadro derivative).

0 Kudos
wkbjerry
Beginner

Xeon Phi 5110P is sold separately for about $3000 per card. It's weird that there's no formal documentation as to the detailed requirement on host platform (motherboard, etc.) supporting Xeon Phi. My feeling is that the Intel Xeon Phi team seems not sure what the answer is either.

@iliyapolak, I agree. Not everyone can afford spending thousands of dollars to replace my whole system in order to use a co-processor card that is barely the same powerful as an easier-to-use, more sophisticated GPU.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

@wkbjerry

Completely agree with your opinion.Maybe in the forseeable future Xeon Phi price will drop down to the more affordable level.

Regarding requirements for the Xeon Phi instalattion I think this is so because initial bunch of coprocessors were sold to big OEM's.

0 Kudos
TaylorIoTKidd
New Contributor I

This doesn't completely answer your question but gives you at least a little more information.

See http://software.intel.com/en-us/comment/1724157

Regards
--
Taylor

0 Kudos
wkbjerry
Beginner

@Taylor, Thanks!

I also find in this link some motherboards recommended by Intel for Xeon Phi.

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/webinar-get-ready-for-intel-math-kernel-library-on-intel-xeon-phi-coprocessors

0 Kudos
mrabet_ahmed_amine

Hi

i have same probleme :

I instaled Centos 6.4 and mpss 6.4

i detect the mic with lspci :

05:00.0 Co-processor: Intel Corporation Device 225c (rev 20)

But with : sudo micctrl --initdefaults i have :    No MIC cards found in the system
    The MIC driver has been determined to be loaded.  Use the
    'lspci' utility to verify cards are installed.

with dmesg | less i have :

mic 0000:05:00.0: device not available (can't reserve [mem 0x00000000-0x3ffffffff 64bit pref])
mic: probe of 0000:05:00.0 failed with error -22
mic: No MIC boards present.  SCIF available in loopback mode

my machine is HP z820.

in the bios i have 2 options to set bios

option ROM download : enable

LIMIT PCie speed : 8 GB GEN 3/5GB GEN 2 /2.5 GB GEN 1 i try 8GB and 5GB ...

any suggestions

Regards,

Amine

0 Kudos
wkbjerry
Beginner

mrabet a. wrote:

Hi

i have same probleme :

I instaled Centos 6.4 and mpss 6.4

i detect the mic with lspci :

05:00.0 Co-processor: Intel Corporation Device 225c (rev 20)

But with : sudo micctrl --initdefaults i have :    No MIC cards found in the system
    The MIC driver has been determined to be loaded.  Use the
    'lspci' utility to verify cards are installed.

with dmesg | less i have :

mic 0000:05:00.0: device not available (can't reserve [mem 0x00000000-0x3ffffffff 64bit pref])
mic: probe of 0000:05:00.0 failed with error -22
mic: No MIC boards present.  SCIF available in loopback mode

my machine is HP z820.

in the bios i have 2 options to set bios

option ROM download : enable

LIMIT PCie speed : 8 GB GEN 3/5GB GEN 2 /2.5 GB GEN 1 i try 8GB and 5GB ...

any suggestions

Regards,

Amine

Hi, Amine. See this post: http://software.intel.com/en-us/comment/1731005#comment-1731005

0 Kudos