Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Don't need the Shell

Frank_M
Beginner

How do I install Parallel Studio 2013 into VS 2008 without installing the VS 2010 shell?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...How do I install Parallel Studio 2013 into VS 2008 without installing the VS 2010 Shell? I'm Not sure if it is possible. Let's say you've installed Parallel Studio XE 2013 ( integrated with VS 2008 ) and VS 2010 Shell is installed as well ( automatically ). Then, open Control Panel and select Add or Remove Program. If VS 2010 Shell is Not listed as a standalone software product then it can not be uninstalled and it will be uninstalled with Parallel Studio XE 2013. I think your request could be considered as a new feature request for newer versions / upgrades of Parallel Studio XE 2013 / 20xx.
0 Kudos
Frank_M
Beginner

Thanks. Well I guess I can live with it. With VS 2008, 2010, eclipse(Mathematica, Java), and probably GNAT (openCobol) I'm building an IDE collection.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...Thanks. Well I guess I can live with it. With VS 2008, 2010, eclipse(Mathematica, Java), and probably GNAT (openCobol) >>I'm building an IDE collection... I understand that you're trying to save space on a hard drive ( right? ) and I hope that Intel Installation team for Parallel Studio XE 2013 will consider your point of view, that is, to allow installation of Visual Studio 2010 Shell on demand. Thanks Frank for the feedback.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...Then, open Control Panel and select Add or Remove Program. If VS 2010 Shell is Not listed as a standalone software >>product then it can not be uninstalled... Here is a list of software products from Add or Remove Program: Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Files for Intel Visual Fortran Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 SP1 Files for Intel Visual Fortran Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Shell (Integrated) - ENU So, you can try to uninstall if you don't need Microsoft Visual Studio 2010.
0 Kudos
Roland_W_Intel1
Employee

When installing Parallel Studio XE 2013 you have the option of doing a custom intall when you get to the options page of the installer.  By selecting 'Custom installation (for advanced users)' you are able to select the specific components you want installed.  On the 'Options - Select Components to Install' page you can specify that the VS 2010 Shell is not to be installed by clicking on Intel Compser XE 2013>Intel Visual Fortran Compiler XE>Microsoft Visual Studio* 2010 Shell.

The Intel Registration Center also gives the option of downloading a package that does not include the VS 2010 Shell.  For the current release of Intel Parallel Studio XE 2013 there are two Updates you may select.  'Update 2 VS' whose packages all include the VS 2010 Shell and 'Update 2' which offers a single package, parallel_studio_xe_2013_update2_novsshell_setup.exe, which does not.

0 Kudos
Frank_M
Beginner

Thanks for all the help, but it turns out that the best solution for me is to just upgrade to VS 2010.

0 Kudos