Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Elementary programming vs Application Development Kit

shadab_khatib
Beginner
Hello
I would like to pose a question that which amongst these two is better elementary app programming or devloping applications via development kit which bypasses the tedious programming route and gives you a finished product?
Will there be any performance difference in the two programs, will one of them lag, or contain bugs that need troubleshooting as patches or updates?
0 Kudos
8 Replies
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Hi,

What kind of application do you want to implement?

Quoting shadab.khatib
Hello
I would like to pose a question that which amongst these two is better elementary app programming or devloping applications via development kit which bypasses the tedious programming route and gives you a finished product?

Will there be any performance difference in the two programs

[SergeyK] It is hard to say but, in general, applications that use some low level APIs are faster.

will one of them lag

[SergeyK] Do you mean a time to complete / implement? If Yes, than implementation of some application
that uses some Development Kit is easier and faster.

or contain bugs that need troubleshooting as patches or updates?

[SergeyK] It is a function of experience of a Software Developer and intensive testing.

Best regards,
Sergey

0 Kudos
Nathan_Totura
Beginner
I would say it all depends on the requirements of your game. If you have the time to write a game engine from scratch then you will have full control over every aspect including performance.
There are many game engine choices on Android, you can probably find one that will meet all of your needs.
Checkout this blog that talks about possible options:
0 Kudos
shadab_khatib
Beginner
Thanks for the reply
But I am strictly referring to those kind of environments that allow developer to drag and drop some code snippets and combine them to form an app.
Do these app building environments contain bugs or incomplete features or functionality?

I do agree to the fact that Development through a Development Kit is much faster but I would like to know that will it lag in performance (not in development process) , crashing, force closing etc only because I choose an easy path than the programming way from scartch?
Will this occur with the Development environments mentioned above?

If none of the above problems occur in the apps created by Development environments then can you suggest me names of the Development platforms for the android platform?

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Thanks for the reply
But I am strictly referring to those kind of environments that allow developer to drag and drop some code snippets and combine them to form an app...

I suggest you to look at latest versions ofDelphi or C++ Builder.

Best regards,
Sergey
0 Kudos
shadab_khatib
Beginner
Please give topic related answers.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

If you have the time to write a game engine from scratch

Writing the game engine is not a simply task or trivial task.I do not know Android graphics stack but I suppose that its based on the OpenGL so it is an API with already implemented various stagesof graphics rendering pipeline.The best answer should be to use existing API and develop a game with the help of an API.
0 Kudos
gaston-hillar
Valued Contributor I
@Shadab,
Your questions doesn't have a simple response. It depends on the kind of application and it also depends on the available Development Kits for that specific kind of application.
In most modern applications, either small or huge, we use external components, libraries, tools, kits.
It all depends on your application domain, goals, time and budget.
I coded an entire ORM around 15 years ago. Now, I select the most convenient ORM according to the kind of app, platform, chosen programming language and budget.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
Hi Gaston!
What does ORM stand for?
0 Kudos