Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17060 Discussions

Embedded Linux for Intel MIC support and Embedded OS for flash tools

javiroman
Beginner
Hello!
I'm trying to understand the MIC Knights Corner device from a software point of view. At first sight I understand the following:
1. The /usr/sbin/mpssd daemon is the user space tool for setting up the MIC device by means of kernel space driver/lib/modules/2.6.32-220.el6.x86_64/extra/mic.ko

2. Setting up the MIC PCIe device (target) means to load an embedded Linux kernel located in the host filesystem: /lib/firmware/uos.img (this is a traditional Linux bzImage, Linux kernel 2.6.34) into the target.
3. This target bzImage uses as root filesystem the one located in /opt/intel/mic/filesystem/mic0.img for example.
So we have a set of tools for communication with the target (user space side, mpssd daemon, and kernel space, mic.ko driver). We have to load the target Linux kernel (uos.img) with a traditional target root filesystem (mic0.img).
That said, I've the following questions:
1. The documentation is talking about an "Embedded OS for flash tools". Where this embedded os is located in the distribution? I understand the ROM.SMC images are for the SMC Xeon microcontroller, so those images has not relation with this "embedded OS for flash tools".
2. I miss any kind of BIOS or boot loader (u-boot, redboot ... ) flashed in the target.
Probably I'm not uderstanding in the correct way the software architecture, can anybody help me?
Many thanks!!!
0 Kudos
1 Reply
TaylorIoTKidd
New Contributor I

Hi Javi,

In a review of older issues, we found that your post hasn't been addressed.

I'll get back to you with a response soon.

Regards
--
Taylor

0 Kudos