Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Error:no matching specific function for this generic function

bdrichards
Beginner
After upgrading to 6.6 and now attempting to BUILD an existing project we receive this error:

Error: There is no matching specific function for this generic function reference. [GETPROCADDRESS]

This error occurs when we "USE" DFWIN or DFWINTY. Why should we receive this error (and especially with no changes other than the upgrade)?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
6.6 includes a complete retranslation of the Win32 API declarations. Without seeing your code, I can't say what is wrong - please send a short but complete example demonstrating the problem to vf-support@compaq.com and we'll take a look.

Steve
0 Kudos
bdrichards
Beginner
In creating a small sample project to reproduce the error, I discovered the behavior that we experienced was due to some sloppy coding that was "allowed" in the past. Consider the following call to GetProcAddress:

lpget_xyz=GetProcAddress(hlib,'GET_XYZ'C)
If hlib is not explicitly declared as INTEGER, the error will occur.
Bill
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
BTW, this is a debugging technique that I use a lot. After a certain amount of examination of the code, I conclude that it's a compiler error and try to reproduce it with a small test program. I do find a certain amount of compiler errors this way but also it puts me in a mindset that absolutely anything could be happening in my code instead of retaining my prejudices about what the code should do. Often this is just the attitude I need to run errors in my code to ground.
0 Kudos