Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17060 Discussions

Face Recognition: "Is this [specific_user]?" instead of "Which user is this?"

Aaron_S_4
Beginner

I've gotten face recognition working, and one important feature seems to be missing from the API, but maybe someone will tell me I've just overlooked it.

The current version of the API allows the application to check which user a face belongs to. This is nice, except that, as the number of users increases, both the required computational effort and the likelihood of error increases (as the more users there are, the more likely two will look very similar). So, instead of asking the system "What is the user ID of the current face?", I would like to ask the system "Is the current face [user_id]?"

I imagine the difficulty with this is that the processing pipeline has already applied the recognition algorithm to the image data before the face data is available in application code, so I wouldn't be able to ask "Is it [user_id]?" until it's already finished its processing. Still, I'm hoping this is something being worked on (maybe one of the Intel folks can chime in about this?).

I also want to say I know that this feature can be approximated by having different face databases for each user, and switching to the appropriate database before each recognition task. This approach has some significant disadvantages*, so I'd really rather avoid it if at all possible

So, my question: Is this currently possible (without multiple face databases), and if not, is this something that is on the SDK's roadmap?

Thanks!

* Namely, an unknown number of frames in the pipeline need to be discarded before receiving frames that were recognized using the new database (which wastes a lot of time), and if multiple databases are used, different API requests can't be handled simultaneously if they involve different users.

0 Kudos
0 Replies