Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Failed to Build Intel OFED on CentOS 6.5 X86_64

yadavmahe
Beginner

Hi,

while Install IntelIB-Basic.RHEL6-x86_64.7.2.1.1.22 on CentOS 6.5 x86_64, Following error is comming

-I/usr/src/kernels/2.6.32-431.el6.x86_64/arch/x86/include \
 -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Wno-format-security -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -O2 -m64 -mtune=generic -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -funit-at-a-time -maccumulate-outgoing-args -fstack-protector -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SECTIONS=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -Wframe-larger-than=2048 -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -g -pg -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -fno-strict-overflow -fno-dwarf2-cfi-asm -fconserve-stack  -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(transport)"  -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(xprtrdma)" -D"DEBUG_HASH=38" -D"DEBUG_HASH2=2" -c -o /var/tmp/IntelIB-OFED/OFEDRPMS/BUILD/ofa_kernel-1.5.4.1/net/sunrpc/xprtrdma/.tmp_transport.o /var/tmp/IntelIB-OFED/OFEDRPMS/BUILD/ofa_kernel-1.5.4.1/net/sunrpc/xprtrdma/transport.c
/var/tmp/IntelIB-OFED/OFEDRPMS/BUILD/ofa_kernel-1.5.4.1/net/sunrpc/xprtrdma/transport.c: In function 'xprt_rdma_connect_worker':
/var/tmp/IntelIB-OFED/OFEDRPMS/BUILD/ofa_kernel-1.5.4.1/net/sunrpc/xprtrdma/transport.c:218: error: 'struct rpc_xprt' has no member named 'shutdown'
make[3]: *** [/var/tmp/IntelIB-OFED/OFEDRPMS/BUILD/ofa_kernel-1.5.4.1/net/sunrpc/xprtrdma/transport.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [/var/tmp/IntelIB-OFED/OFEDRPMS/BUILD/ofa_kernel-1.5.4.1/net/sunrpc/xprtrdma] Error 2
make[1]: *** [_module_/var/tmp/IntelIB-OFED/OFEDRPMS/BUILD/ofa_kernel-1.5.4.1] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.32-431.el6.x86_64'
make: *** [kernel] Error 2

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Frances_R_Intel
Employee

Let me make sure I am not misunderstanding what you are doing.

You have a system with an Intel True Scale adapter; you downloaded IntelIB-Basic.RHEL6-x86_64.7.2.1.1.22.tgz from the Intel download site but when you tried to build it, you got the error you copied in your message.

You don't explicitly say it, but since you are posting to the Intel(r) Xeon Phi(tm) coprocessor forum, can I assume you have one or more coprocessors installed in your system? If so, the directions for installing OFED with the MPSS say that, for RHEL 6.5, you should use the OFED that comes with that OS release, instead of the True Scale download. Because CentOS is not one of the officially supported operating systems for use with the MPSS, the MPSS directions don't cover it, but I believe that for CentOS 6.5, you should follow the RHEL 6.5 directions and use the OFED that comes with the CentOS release. 

If you do not have coprocessors installed in the system, then we should probably move this thread to a more appropriate forum. It looks like there is some kind of mismatch between the kernel headers on your system and the ones the IntelIB code is expecting, but people who are more experienced in the OFED code itself would be better able to tell you what and where.

0 Kudos
Paul_P_3
Novice

I'm getting this exact same error when trying to build the OFED-3.5-MIC stack on my system.  Our kernels are slightly different, but the errors are the same.  We are using ConnectX IB cards so we need to build the OFED stack on our 6.2 systems.  I know we should be using OFED-1.5.4.1, but we were advised by Intel to try and get the newer stack working so that we could fix some performance issues we are having.  Were you able to resolve this issue? Here is the error for us as well:

-I/usr/src/kernels/2.6.32-358.23.2.el6.x86_64/arch/x86/include \
 -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Wno-format-security -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -O2 -m64 -mtune=generic -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -funit-at-a-time -maccumulate-outgoing-args -fstack-protector -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SECTIONS=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -Wframe-larger-than=2048 -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -g -pg -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -fno-strict-overflow -fno-dwarf2-cfi-asm -fconserve-stack  -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(transport)"  -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(xprtrdma)" -D"DEBUG_HASH=46" -D"DEBUG_HASH2=28" -c -o /var/tmp/OFED_topdir/BUILD/intel-mic-ofed-compat-rdma-3.5/net/sunrpc/xprtrdma/.tmp_transport.o /var/tmp/OFED_topdir/BUILD/intel-mic-ofed-compat-rdma-3.5/net/sunrpc/xprtrdma/transport.c
/var/tmp/OFED_topdir/BUILD/intel-mic-ofed-compat-rdma-3.5/net/sunrpc/xprtrdma/transport.c: In function 'xprt_rdma_connect_worker':
/var/tmp/OFED_topdir/BUILD/intel-mic-ofed-compat-rdma-3.5/net/sunrpc/xprtrdma/transport.c:202: error: 'struct rpc_xprt' has no member named 'shutdown'
make[3]: *** [/var/tmp/OFED_topdir/BUILD/intel-mic-ofed-compat-rdma-3.5/net/sunrpc/xprtrdma/transport.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [/var/tmp/OFED_topdir/BUILD/intel-mic-ofed-compat-rdma-3.5/net/sunrpc/xprtrdma] Error 2
make[1]: *** [_module_/var/tmp/OFED_topdir/BUILD/intel-mic-ofed-compat-rdma-3.5] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.32-358.23.2.el6.x86_64'
error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.I28dA9 (%build)

0 Kudos
Nils_M_1
Beginner

I have one test system with Scientific Linux 6.4 and MPSS-3.1.2. I encounter the same problem as posted by Peltz when I install OFED-3.5-1-MIC-beta1 on MPSS-3.1.2. The installer fails at the intel-mic-ofed-compat-rdma-3.5 module with exactly the same error. I also run other systems with MPSS-2.1 and OFED-3.5-MIC -- the full version as of Dec. 30, not the release candidates -- that work without any problems. I don't know which version of MPSS you are running, but note that OFED-3.5-MIC is not compatible with MPSS-3.* .

What actually works for me on MPSS-3.1.2 is to do the following installation procedure for the OFED-3.5-1-MIC-beta1. (1) Run the installer with option "Basic". (2) Rerun the installer with option "HPC". The option "All" fails at the compat-rdma module. I have only tested the installation in a rather rudimentary way (running some ib*-tools integrity checks), but as far as I can see right now the modules relevant for the IB fabric are working. However, this way the development libraries and some other stuff is missing. I also think running only (2) will also work.

Hope that helps. If you find a solution please post it in the forum.

0 Kudos
yadavmahe
Beginner

Hi,

Error coming due to Linux kernel source version (2.6.32-431.el6.x86_64), because In latest kernel version some unused variables are removed ( based on the buglist release for kernel by redhat). By that shutdown variable remove from kernel source, but not updated in the Intel OFED.

0 Kudos
TaylorIoTKidd
New Contributor I

Do you have an SDP from Intel? If so, please submit a bug report.

If you don't, please give me all the information you can about it so that I can submit one for you.

Regards
--
Taylor

0 Kudos
Nikos_H_
Beginner

So I have a similar error on centos 6.4 , 2.6.32-358.18.1.el6.x86_64

so what I did was:

cd IntelIB-Basic.RHEL6-x86_64.7.2.2.0.8

./INSTALL -U --32bit --rebuild --kernel_configure_options '--with-nfsrdma-mod'

-I/usr/src/kernels/2.6.32-358.18.1.el6.x86_64/arch/x86/include \
 -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Wno-format-security -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -O2 -m64 -mtune=generic -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -funit-at-a-time -maccumulate-outgoing-args -fstack-protector -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SECTIONS=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -Wframe-larger-than=2048 -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -g -pg -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -fno-strict-overflow -fno-dwarf2-cfi-asm -fconserve-stack  -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(svc_rdma_recvfrom)"  -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(svcrdma)" -D"DEBUG_HASH=36" -D"DEBUG_HASH2=18" -c -o /var/tmp/IntelIB-OFED/OFEDRPMS/BUILD/ofa_kernel-1.5.4.1/net/sunrpc/xprtrdma/.tmp_svc_rdma_recvfrom.o /var/tmp/IntelIB-OFED/OFEDRPMS/BUILD/ofa_kernel-1.5.4.1/net/sunrpc/xprtrdma/svc_rdma_recvfrom.c
  set -e ; perl /usr/src/kernels/2.6.32-358.18.1.el6.x86_64/scripts/recordmcount.pl "x86_64" "64" "objdump" "objcopy" "gcc" "ld" "nm" "" "" "1" "/var/tmp/IntelIB-OFED/OFEDRPMS/BUILD/ofa_kernel-1.5.4.1/net/sunrpc/xprtrdma/svc_rdma_recvfrom.o";
  gcc -Wp,-MD,/var/tmp/IntelIB-OFED/OFEDRPMS/BUILD/ofa_kernel-1.5.4.1/net/sunrpc/xprtrdma/.transport.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.4.7/include \
-D__OFED_BUILD__ \
-include /lib/modules/2.6.32-358.18.1.el6.x86_64/build/include/linux/autoconf.h \
-include /var/tmp/IntelIB-OFED/OFEDRPMS/BUILD/ofa_kernel-1.5.4.1/include/linux/autoconf.h \
-I/var/tmp/IntelIB-OFED/OFEDRPMS/BUILD/ofa_kernel-1.5.4.1/kernel_addons/backport/2.6.32-EL6.4/include/ \
 \
 \
 \
-I/var/tmp/IntelIB-OFED/OFEDRPMS/BUILD/ofa_kernel-1.5.4.1/include \
-I/var/tmp/IntelIB-OFED/OFEDRPMS/BUILD/ofa_kernel-1.5.4.1/drivers/infiniband/debug \
-I/usr/local/include/scst \
-I/var/tmp/IntelIB-OFED/OFEDRPMS/BUILD/ofa_kernel-1.5.4.1/drivers/infiniband/ulp/srpt \
-D__XEN_INTERFACE_VERSION__= \
-I/usr/src/kernels/2.6.32-358.18.1.el6.x86_64/arch/x86/include/mach-xen \
-I/usr/src/kernels/2.6.32-358.18.1.el6.x86_64/arch//include \
-Iinclude \
 \
-I/usr/src/kernels/2.6.32-358.18.1.el6.x86_64/arch/x86/include \
 -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Wno-format-security -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -O2 -m64 -mtune=generic -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -funit-at-a-time -maccumulate-outgoing-args -fstack-protector -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SECTIONS=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -Wframe-larger-than=2048 -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -g -pg -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -fno-strict-overflow -fno-dwarf2-cfi-asm -fconserve-stack  -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(transport)"  -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(xprtrdma)" -D"DEBUG_HASH=38" -D"DEBUG_HASH2=2" -c -o /var/tmp/IntelIB-OFED/OFEDRPMS/BUILD/ofa_kernel-1.5.4.1/net/sunrpc/xprtrdma/.tmp_transport.o /var/tmp/IntelIB-OFED/OFEDRPMS/BUILD/ofa_kernel-1.5.4.1/net/sunrpc/xprtrdma/transport.c
/var/tmp/IntelIB-OFED/OFEDRPMS/BUILD/ofa_kernel-1.5.4.1/net/sunrpc/xprtrdma/transport.c: In function 'xprt_rdma_connect_worker':
/var/tmp/IntelIB-OFED/OFEDRPMS/BUILD/ofa_kernel-1.5.4.1/net/sunrpc/xprtrdma/transport.c:218: error: 'struct rpc_xprt' has no member named 'shutdown'
make[3]: *** [/var/tmp/IntelIB-OFED/OFEDRPMS/BUILD/ofa_kernel-1.5.4.1/net/sunrpc/xprtrdma/transport.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [/var/tmp/IntelIB-OFED/OFEDRPMS/BUILD/ofa_kernel-1.5.4.1/net/sunrpc/xprtrdma] Error 2
make[1]: *** [_module_/var/tmp/IntelIB-OFED/OFEDRPMS/BUILD/ofa_kernel-1.5.4.1] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.32-358.18.1.el6.x86_64'
error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.2WvzwS (%build)

RPM build errors:
    user phcvs does not exist - using root
    group intelall does not exist - using root
    Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.2WvzwS (%build)

0 Kudos
TaylorIoTKidd
New Contributor I

Nikos,

Are you telling us that you have an error you need help with? Or are you providing advice concerning the earlier issue?

Regards
---
Taylor

0 Kudos
Nikos_H_
Beginner

My conclusion is that which kernel we suppose to use?

The error that I got is from the kernel of Centos 6.4 though I tried the kernel from Centos 6.3 that "suppose" intel has

support for but also produce the same error.. which kernel intel ofed drivers are fully supported?

0 Kudos
Frances_R_Intel
Employee

What happens if you omit the --32bit from your install command? Although it doesn't say anything in section 2.2 (Steps to Install Intel® MPSS with IFS OFED+) of the MPSS User's Guide, in section 2.3 (Steps to Install Intel® MPSS with OFED 1.5.4.1), it says:

<blockquote>

It is recommended not to install the 32-bit packages when installing OFED on RHEL 6.5. 

Installing 32-bit support on RHEL 6.5 requires an older version of glibc-devel.i686. 

</blockquote>

I'm afraid I don't know enough about individual releases of the different flavors of Linux to map the glibc-devel rpms from RHEL to CentOS. I know CentOS tracks RHEL closely. So, if you tell me this 32 bit support issue with RHEL 6.5 can't be the problem with CentOS 6.4 or 6.3, I will be inclined to believe you. But still, it seems worth a try.

0 Kudos
Loc_N_Intel
Employee

I read a document related to OFED installation, it said during the OFED installation, you need to answer "No" for not installing libraries dapl*, compat-dapl* and 32-bit library support.

0 Kudos
Robert_D_
Beginner

So what is the solution?  I have the same problem installing a QLE 7340 on Centos 6.7.

0 Kudos
Claudio_S_
Beginner

We are encountering problems too when installing the package Intel ® True Scale Fabric Host Channel Adapter Host Drivers & v7.4.0.0.21 Software on CentOS 7.2.

The problem is related to a different signature of the Linux kernel function inet_get_local_port_range, which has recently changed the signature and therefore prevents the compat-rdma-3.12 from compiling. Since CentOS has the very same kernel as RedHat, the same problem should occur on newest RedHat distributions as well. We need RDMA and, even if not, it cannot be selected during the installation process.

Can you kindly verify and tell us how we can install the software on this version without having to install an old (and unmaintained) OS version ?

Many thanks and best regards.

0 Kudos
Talbot__John
Beginner

Hi,

I'm getting the same issue on RHEL6.4   6.5   6.10   7.3   7.4 (Only ones I've tried)

It seems to work fine on RHEL/Centos 6.3

Has any one found an answer on how to install the "True Scale Fabric Host Software"?

Cheers

John

# ./INSTALL -vv -i ib_stack
Installing Selected IB Software
Determining what is installed on system...
About to Uninstall previous IB Software Installations...

Uninstalling previous OFED RPMs

Uninstalling 32 bit library OFED RPMs
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Preparing OFED 1.5.4.1.68 release for Install...
Checking OS Dependencies needed for builds...
Building ./IntelIB-OFED.RHEL6-x86_64.1.5.4.1.68 SRPMS/ofa_kernel-1.5.4.1-2013_10_11.08_36_06.src.rpm x86_64 2.6.32-754.25.1.el6.x86_64...
ERROR - FAILED to build ./IntelIB-OFED.RHEL6-x86_64.1.5.4.1.68 SRPMS/ofa_kernel-1.5.4.1-2013_10_11.08_36_06.src.rpm x86_64 2.6.32-754.25.1.el6.x86_64, see ./IntelIB-OFED.RHEL6-x86_64.1.5.4.1.68/build.res
Unable to Prepare OFED IB Stack for Install

# tail -n 30 ./IntelIB-OFED.RHEL6-x86_64.1.5.4.1.68/build.res
-I/var/tmp/IntelIB-OFED/OFEDRPMS/BUILD/ofa_kernel-1.5.4.1/include \
-I/var/tmp/IntelIB-OFED/OFEDRPMS/BUILD/ofa_kernel-1.5.4.1/drivers/infiniband/debug \
-I/usr/local/include/scst \
-I/var/tmp/IntelIB-OFED/OFEDRPMS/BUILD/ofa_kernel-1.5.4.1/drivers/infiniband/ulp/srpt \
-D__XEN_INTERFACE_VERSION__= \
-I/usr/src/kernels/2.6.32-754.25.1.el6.x86_64/arch/x86/include/mach-xen \
-I/usr/src/kernels/2.6.32-754.25.1.el6.x86_64/arch//include \
-Iinclude \
 \
-I/usr/src/kernels/2.6.32-754.25.1.el6.x86_64/arch/x86/include \
 -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Wno-format-security -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -O2 -m64 -mtune=generic -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -funit-at-a-time -maccumulate-outgoing-args -fstack-protector -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SECTIONS=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -mindirect-branch=thunk-extern -mindirect-branch-register -DRETPOLINE -Wframe-larger-than=2048 -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -g -pg -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -fno-strict-overflow -fno-dwarf2-cfi-asm -fconserve-stack  -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(kcopy)"  -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(kcopy)" -D"DEBUG_HASH=41" -D"DEBUG_HASH2=4" -c -o /var/tmp/IntelIB-OFED/OFEDRPMS/BUILD/ofa_kernel-1.5.4.1/drivers/char/kcopy/.tmp_kcopy.o /var/tmp/IntelIB-OFED/OFEDRPMS/BUILD/ofa_kernel-1.5.4.1/drivers/char/kcopy/kcopy.c
In file included from include/linux/mm.h:41,
                 from include/linux/mman.h:14,
                 from /var/tmp/IntelIB-OFED/OFEDRPMS/BUILD/ofa_kernel-1.5.4.1/drivers/char/kcopy/kcopy.c:6:
/usr/src/kernels/2.6.32-754.25.1.el6.x86_64/arch/x86/include/asm/pgtable.h: In function 'pgd_bad':
/usr/src/kernels/2.6.32-754.25.1.el6.x86_64/arch/x86/include/asm/pgtable.h:605: error: implicit declaration of function 'IS_ENABLED'
make[3]: *** [/var/tmp/IntelIB-OFED/OFEDRPMS/BUILD/ofa_kernel-1.5.4.1/drivers/char/kcopy/kcopy.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [/var/tmp/IntelIB-OFED/OFEDRPMS/BUILD/ofa_kernel-1.5.4.1/drivers/char/kcopy] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.32-754.25.1.el6.x86_64'
error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.w6X1j0 (%build)

RPM build errors:
    Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.w6X1j0 (%build)

0 Kudos