Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Flex license and BootCamp VMware

velvia
Beginner

Hi,

I am using Parallel Studio XE 2013 on Windows 8 on a MacBook Pro. Windows has been installed on its own partition (With the BootCamp drivers). But Windows can be started both natively, or using VMware Fusion from Mac OSX. It seems to drive the licensing system crazy and Intel programs don't want to start from VMware/Windows as they have been installed natively on Windows. Do you have any solution for that problem ?

best regards,

Francois

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

Hi,  I'll transfer this to the Registration/Download and Licensing forum and support folks should address your question

_Kittur 

0 Kudos
velvia
Beginner

Thanks Kittur.

0 Kudos
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

Hi Francois,

From your post it's not fully understood on whether this is a license (flexLM) issue trying to server features? Can you please elaborate more on what you mean by: "It seems to drive the licensing system crazy..".  DO you get any messages on the terminal and if so can you attach the messages? Or better yet, can you explain execution steps leading to the errors that you see? Reason, we'll need to figure out if this is a licensing issue or not. If it's not, the issue will be passed on to the product team accordingly - appreciate much.

_Kittur

0 Kudos
Kenneth_C_Intel
Employee

Hi Francois I was looking at your email address and i didnt see any windows licenses for you. If you have one please send me the serial number for it in a private message.

Regards,

Kenneth

0 Kudos
velvia
Beginner

Hi Kenneth,

- Concerning the licence, I don't have one yet. I used to have intel licenses through my employer, but as I am starting my own company, I am considering the different options, especially the operating system on which I am going to buy the license. Therefore, I am currently using a 30 days trial licence.

- Concerning the problem, I have a dual boot Mac OSX/Windows 8. Parallel studio XE is installed on Windows. When I am running OSX, I use VMware Fusion to start Windows on a virtual machine. That's where Flex tells me that my product is not licensed and can't run. Of course, everything is fine when I boot my computer with Windows. My guess is that the hardware that flexs see looks different : my computer when Windows is boot directly, and the Virtual Machine when it is booted from Mac OSX.

- My computer is now being repaired (screen issue) so I can't tell you exactly the message. I should get it back within 2 weeks.

So my question is :
- Are you aware of this issue ?
- Does the Intel license allows what I am doing ? (Running the software on native Windows some days, running the exact same installation as a Virtual Machine on another day). If so, will you be able to give me a workaround if I buy the license ?

Best regards,
Francois

0 Kudos
Kenneth_C_Intel
Employee

Yes the hardware is probably different which evaluation licenses don't like. If you use a single user license then you won't run into that problem. 

Regards,

Kenneth

0 Kudos