Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Given Tutorial Code has bugs?

Christopher_C_
Beginner

For both tutorial 3 and 4, towards the end where we free up memory, we release the handrender and facerender pointers. However, neither of those classes have a Release() method. This is why when I try use the local windows debugger in Visual Studio Pro 2013, I get an error stating that:

"HandRender" has no member "Release"

Is there a way to fix that? 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Andradige_S_Intel

release() is discontinued after the Beta release, now should use delete as with normal C++ practice

BTW, when did you download this sample code? the code was updated to reflect this change and if you download the correct version you wouldn't have this issue.

0 Kudos
Christopher_C_
Beginner

I downloaded it yesterday from: https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-realsense-sdk-support/training.

This is the last few lines of tutorial 3:

I tried changing the last few lines to:

delete config; // generates and error stating that I cannot access the private variable

delete renderer; //this is ok

delete psm;// generates and error stating that I cannot access the private variable

I get errors (description of errors in code).

When I change renderer->Release() to delete renderer, I get this error after I exit the program when GIVEN THAT I LET IT DETECT MY HAND( this means when I start the program and exit immediately or run it without showing the camera any hands, I don't get any errors) :

I tried refreshing the above web page without cache but I'm still downloading the same code (I just redownloaded this buggy code 5 minutes ago and ran it). To double check, can you attach the tutorial zip in case I was downloading the incorrect file? Also, is there any way to fix these bugs?

0 Kudos
Andradige_S_Intel

What is the version of your SDK?

Just to verify I downloaded the samples from the link you posted and it has the updated code. Note that you just use delete with 'renderer' and not with 'config' and 'psm'...for those you just use the old Release().

I have attached the zip file which you should get as your download at the link you have posted

0 Kudos
christopher_b_2
Beginner

If one is on the training page linked above, page 10 of the pdf "Setup plus code walk-through" (which is very likley to be the first resource one read when coming to the training page) contains an active link labelled "tutorial code sample directory" that links to the obsolete tutorial package.

This lost me about half a day as some of the errors it produces - especially for someone who has yet to write or compile a single line of code for the SDK - look much more likley to be the result of a failure to setup the SDK+Dev Environment+Visual Studio Project correctly.

0 Kudos