Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

HAXM Installer Fails (AVAST! Anti Virus)

AndyF_
Beginner

/**************** AVAST Anti-Virus IS THE CULPRIT ****************/

If you are using Avast go to Settings -> Troubleshooting and [Disable] 'Enable hardware -assisted virtualization. 

HAXM will install if you have no other issues....

/**************** AVAST Anti-Virus IS THE CULPRIT ****************/

Guys

I know  - everyone asks!  I am failing to install HAXM on my Dell Vostro 3700 running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

Intel HAXM installer reports "...Intel Virtualization Technology (VT-x) is not turned on."

My CPU is suitable:
http://ark.intel.com/products/50179/Intel-Core-i5-460M-Processor-3M-Cache-2_53-GHz?q=i5%20460M

I have installed the latest BIOS.

I have disabled/enabled virtualization in the BIOS.

I have disabled /enabled virtualization using Dell's CCTKGUI app.

CrystalCPU reports:

crystalcpu.jpg

Looks Ok?

Help please!

Cheers

AndyF.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Shailen_Sobhee
Employee

Hi Andy,

Thank you for the post edit with the solution. Somebody on this forum entry pointed that out. The hardware-assisted virtualization technology from Avast will actually mess up with other virtualization technologies. I believe that Avast has introduced a virtualizer in order to run certain applications in a sandboxed mode, hence increasing security. 

From my understanding, the Avast virtualization technology is a Type 2 virtualizer (this Wikipedia entry describes the difference between type 1 and type 2 hypervisors very well) which should not interfere with Intel HAXM. This requires investigation and I will communicate this with the Intel HAXM engineering team.

Best,

Shailen Sobhee

0 Kudos
John_T_2
Beginner

Hello !

Disable avast shield and then try again.

0 Kudos