Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17060 Discussions

HAXM install fails on Windows 7 - "Failed to configure driver: unknown error. Failed to open driver"

Daniel_C_1
Beginner

I'm running into an unknown error when trying to install HAXM on my machine(Windows 7, Intel Core i7-2600, Asus P8Z68-M motherboard).  I've checked my BIOS settings to ensure that virutalization is enabled, and my BIOS and drivers appear to be up to date.  We also have two other developers here with the same hardware setup who are able to install HAXM, so it seems like something that should work for me.

I found the haxm_install_log.txt file and have included it as an attachment.  I looked through the log and the Event Viewer, but haven't been able to figure out what else needs to be done.  Has anyone else run into this issue?

Thanks,

Dan

0 Kudos
72 Replies
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
Hi! Your haxm-install-log.txt file is unreadable. The error message is to generic to be able to understand what happend during the instalation.This is message probably created by the SCM manager.Without going into details I suppose that driver initialization routine 'DriverEntry' was not called or was not located (its entry point)by the I/O manager. Have you tried to install the software as an administartor?
0 Kudos
Daniel_C_1
Beginner
Hi, Thanks for the response. I have tried the install as a regular user and as administrator and the result is the same. I've also attached a zipped copy of the install log which may help if there are issues reading the text version.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
While looking through the log file i found this piece of valuable information "VT_Not_Support = This computer does not support Intel Virtualization Technology (VT-x). HAXM cannot be installed" it seems that we have a our culprit. Did you enable virtualization technology in BIOS?Please check your BIOS settings.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
Hi Daniel There are other users who have a problems with HAXM installation.I saw that enabling VT-x in one case was not helpful.I suggest you to try this option out.
0 Kudos
Daniel_C_1
Beginner
Hi, Thanks for the response. I double-checked my BIOS settings this morning, and virtualization is enabled. I also ran the Microsoft Virtualization Detection Tool, and it did not report any issues(it's supposed to show a warning if virtualization is disabled). I don't know how the HAXM installer works, but I think those messages are some of the built-in messages that can be shown to the user. I saw in one of the other posts that a more specific message was shown when that was the issue. I also saw these two lines a little further down: "Property(C): VT_ENABLED = 1 Property(C): NX_ENABLED = 1" which may mean that the installer has detected that virtualization is enabled. Not sure what else to try at the moment.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
>>>Property(C): NX_ENABLED = 1">>> NX is related probably to No-Execute technology where the processor marks certain regions in the memory as read-only. I could go deeper with the debugger,but I have never done software installer(msi) debugging.If you could provide the failing process call stack or at least the exact error code it would be helpful to some degree. My suggestion is to dump memory address space of the failling installer's process.You can do this with the task manager or with the AD plus utility which is shipped with the windbg.
0 Kudos
JLuna5
New Contributor I
hi, your hardware isn't compatible with the software!
0 Kudos
Chuck_P_
Beginner
I have the exact same error message in my install. "Failed to configure driver: unknown error. Failed to open driver" Dell 3530 CPU, Win7-x64. SP1, All virtualization settings are enabled in the Bios. Detailed Windows installer log showed same sequence: InstallDriverPackage: InstallDriverPackage started 1: DIFXAPI Log message: 2: 1 3: ENTER: DriverPackageInstallW 1: DIFXAPI Log message: 2: 1 3: RETURN: DriverPackageInstallW (0xA) 1: ERROR: failed with error code 2: 10 InstallDriverPackage: Deleting temp file C:\Users\cpart\AppData\Local\Temp\{7824FFE2-E5BE-4530-91AA-C1F442FD4A82}_reboot_required Action 15:55:23: CheckHAXStatusDeferred. Failed to configure driver: unknown error. Failed to open driver.
0 Kudos
Tao_W_Intel
Employee
Hello, Daniel and Chuck, We don't have same systems that you are using to reproduce the issues. However, Intel engineers have created a workaround based on reports on this forum thread. For those who had same issue, you can log in to IDZ and send me a direct message or report here. Please provide a full installer log (haxm_install_log.txt which can be found in %TEMP% folder). I will send you a workaround for you to try. Thanks Tao
0 Kudos
Chuck_P_
Beginner
Tao, I don't see any file named hax_extract.cmd in the zip file. Was there supposed to be an attachment?
0 Kudos
JLuna5
New Contributor I

hi,

Chuck P. you would change the web browser  to see correctly the information.

0 Kudos
sahil_q_
Beginner

I am getting the same error irrespective of my processor supporting VT. I am attaching the log file !!!

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

>>>I am getting the same error irrespective of my processor supporting VT. I am attaching the log file !!!>>>

Please upload log file in zip format.Simply the content is unreadable.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

>>>I am getting the same error irrespective of my processor supporting VT. I am attaching the log file !!!>>>

Please upload log file in zip format.Simply the content is unreadable.

0 Kudos
adil1
Beginner

Hi,

I am also getting the same issue, VT is enabled.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

I do not know if this is related or not, but I see many calls probably to GetSystemMetrics() WinAPI function.Still was not able to identify what WinAPI function accesses hardware related information like these two lines:

>>>VT_Not_Support = This computer does not support Intel Virtualization Technology (VT-x). HAXM cannot be installed.
Please refer to the Intel HAXM documentation for more information.

Property(C): XD_Not_Support = This computer does not support Intel Execute Disable Bit (XD) or it is disable in the BIOS. HAXM cannot be installed. >>>

Also two error codes 2 and 3 are suspected.Simply who is throwing them?Many users reported that they have enabled virtualization support so there is probability that this could be some kind of software bug.

0 Kudos
Nelson_G_
Beginner

"Failed to configure driver: unknown error. Failed to open driver"

Please advise on what steps are needed to workaround/resove this issue.

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Nelson G. wrote:

"Failed to configure driver: unknown error. Failed to open driver"

Please advise on what steps are needed to workaround/resove this issue.

Thank you in advance.

>>>Property(S): VT_Not_Support = This computer does not support Intel Virtualization Technology (VT-x). HAXM cannot be installed.
Please refer to the Intel HAXM documentation for more information.

Property(S): XD_Not_Support = This computer does not support Intel Execute Disable Bit (XD) or it is disable in the BIOS. HAXM cannot be installed.
Please refer to the Intel HAXM documentation for more information.>>>

These two lines are suspicious to me.Obviously your CPU does support virtualization and XD technology.My bet is that one of the Win API functions used to query the CPU features is returning false.I need to identify this function.As I stated earlier in one of my posts I was able to identify the calls to GetSystemMetrics() function ,but as far as I know this function does not return the info about the detailed CPU features.

Regarding the message about the "failed open the driver" this message is generated when DIFxAPI driver install framework can not instal the driver.DriverPackageInstallW is responsible for installing the driver and this function fails with the error code 0x2 sadly I cannot find the exact meaning of this error.

0 Kudos
Nelson_G_
Beginner

Awesome. I'm looking into it too. If I find something, I will post. Thanks for taking the time to check it out.

I do appreciate it.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Nelson G. wrote:

Awesome. I'm looking into it too. If I find something, I will post. Thanks for taking the time to check it out.

I do appreciate it.

Thank you.We are here to help each other:)

Later I will be trying to find the exact error meaning.

0 Kudos