Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Help finding out power consumption (newbie)

Clemens_C_
Beginner

Hello,

I don't know if this is the right place where to post, and please excuse me if it isn't, but I am looking everywhere on the net to see how much my hardware and system are consuming but I am having difficulty finding the information.

I recently got a new desktop (Lenovo Essential 50-00), which is basically a laptop in a desktop's case, in the sense that the power unit is external and it is just a typical 65W laptop ac power adaptor, the motherboard is very small in size and has only one SODIMM Ram slot (with a 4GB module, which the vendor says can be upgraded to 8GB).

The main difference is that it has also a standard PCI slot, where I have put a cheap video card in order to use two monitors, and a dvd drive (which I don't really need).

I use vanilla Debian with LXDE, which is quite light (even with 10 Chrome tabs open), but for job related things I also run a virtual machine with Adobe Acrobat and MSWord. 

Without running the VM everything works very smoothly and I would like things to keep on being like this also with a more "juiced up" virtual machine, which at the moment has only 1GB of RAM assigned (the entire system has only 4GB at present so I cannot give it much more) and therefore is a bit slow and tends to page a bit.

I would like to know if I can safely upgrade the RAM to 8GB without rendering the system unstable, but I cannot find the power consumption info necessary for the calculation.

The details are:

1:MotherBoard            
Chipset    Intel H81        Front Side Bus    0 MHz
Socket    Socket H2 (LGA 1155)       

2:CPU        
Producer    Intel        Technology    Pentium Quad-Core
Clock speed    2,41 GHz        Processor Model    J2900
Bit    64 bit        Cache L2 Total dimensions    3 mb

3:Video Card (don't remember the details so I got the information through lspci)
VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Manhattan [Mobility Radeon HD 5430 Series] [1002:68e1]

Thank you very much.

Cheers,

Clemens

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Tiago_D_
Beginner

You could use Intel® Power Gadget 2.5 for Linux

See https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-power-gadget-20

0 Kudos
Haroon_K_
Beginner

Tiago D. wrote:

You could use Intel® Power Gadget 2.5 for Linux

See https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-power-gadget-20

Yes i agree but further you can go to usage and check the consumption.

Rgds,

Haroon

0 Kudos