Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17060 Discussions

How can I build custom Android ROM for Dell Venue 8 (3840) with Intel System Studio as indicated in FAQs?

Clive_W_
Beginner

Hi,

I've downloaded and installed the Intel System Studio 2015 Update 1, and am now trying to build an ROM image for the Dell Venue 8 (model 3840 - Merrifield), and I just don't see any reference to how to build this full OS image. Am I missing something here? Was expecting the System Studio install to include the MDK per the FAQ tab on this page: https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-mobile-development-kit-for-android#pid-24604-2130 

Anyone any ideas what I'm missing?

Clive

0 Kudos
26 Replies
Yang_W_Intel
Employee

Hi Clive,

You may go to http://opensource.dell.com/releases/Venue_8_3840_Merrifield/ and follow the instructions in the Doc folder for the image build. Once you have rooted the Dell V8 device, you can use Intel System Studio for performance and power optimization for the system.

Thanks.

-Yang

0 Kudos
Clive_W_
Beginner

Thanks Yang,

However these instructions only build the boot.img - I thought that was just the bootloader and not the full system image (usually system.img) - am I wrong?

Thanks,
Clive

0 Kudos
Clive_W_
Beginner

My previous experience is in building OS images for the Nexus 7 where boot.img is the bootloader only. Maybe on these systems boot.img contains the actual kernel (and maybe droidboot.img, which I don't recognize) is the thing that loads it??

Thanks,
Clive

0 Kudos
Keith_G_1
Beginner

Yang-wang, and others at Intel,

I think it's understood that one needs to follow the process outlined by Dell to root the Dell Venue 8 to get it into what can be called "Developer Mode"... Unless I misunderstood, your answer is more directed to after rooting, telling him then he can use ISS for power and performance checking (presumably by using the profiler daemons mentioned in the Faq).

I think Clive is asking where the promised MDK is located and then how one builds a full ROM image as hinted at by the Intel Mobile Development Kit for Android web page he linked. Where can we go for more information? How do we get an MDK? Where do we get access to the Board Support Packages for the Intel based Dell Venue 8 3840?

Building Android for Nexus devices is well documented and the source code required is available publicly. Since Dell has made a similar commitment, partnered with Intel, directed folks to the Intel System Studio, and these forums I too am hoping for these answers.

I would like to build some Intel based Android ROM customizations, starting on the Dell platform, and using Intel's powerful compiler suite. What I lack, and apparently Clive does also is more information. 

Thanks,
Keith G

0 Kudos
Yang_W_Intel
Employee

Hi Clive and Keith,
     Thank you for clarification and now I understand the questions. There are only the instructions on how to build the kernel and root the device but there is no clear instructions on the full rom image. Let me contact our MDK team and see if I can get more information. I will get back to you once I get further information.

Thank you.

-Yang

0 Kudos
Yang_W_Intel
Employee

Hi Clive, Keith,
     Dell does not release the full Android software stack so it is not possible to build the full ROM image for Dell Venue device. It is not the right device if you want to build your customized ROM.
     Intel provided full android stack for IA in the website: http://01.org/android-ia, you may go to this website and find the details for the supported devices, the full android source code etc.

Thanks.

-Yang

0 Kudos
Alexander_W_Intel

Hi,

AFAIK you can just clone the AOSP repository and build it. You need to make sure that the version you checkout match the kernel .e.g. a KitKat Kernel won't work with a Lillipop System image. After following the instructions from the dell website just use fastboot to flash the new system image on the device. Don't flash the AOSP Kernel as this will not work. 

If you like I can try it out and create some detailed instructions based on the Dell Venue 7 as I don't have a 8 yet. 

Thanks,
Alex

0 Kudos
Howard_G_
Beginner

Alex,

If you could provide the Dell Venue 7 instructions, it would be very useful for me and others. I am just picking up speed on Atom-based tablets, including the Venue 8. My guess is that the instructions would be very similar to what needs to be done for Venue 8.

Thanks,

Howard

0 Kudos
Clive_W_
Beginner

Thanks Alex,

Would certainly appreciate some instructions to help us navigate this process, as Howard just mentioned.

I am left wondering about the relationship between the kernel and system image. Presumably the kernel contains the device drivers for accessing the camera, accelerometer and other peripherals, as the standard AOSP image isn't going to have any of that stuff (again my experience is with the Nexus 7, where the device drivers and blobs are built into the "system" image - system.img), so this may be the source of my confusion.

Anyway, would definitely appreciate any instructions you can provide.
Thank you,

Clive

0 Kudos
Howard_G_
Beginner

Clive,

At the Dell opensource site Yang pointed to, there is a .pdf explaining some of the build tricks. Essentially, what you are saying is all true for Dell Venue 8 (and I assume atom tablets in general). And as Alex said; this doc doesn't say anything about the system image.

However, these instructions are a bit lacking on the ramdisk.img building (ramdisk.img is a piece of boot.img). The kernel_build.sh does not re-generate the ramdisk.img only the kernel (later it stitches the pieces together and makes the boot.img). I was interested in rebuilding the broadcom wifi driver, and I am yet to figure out the proper way of doing this. If anyone could shed some light on this, it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Howard

0 Kudos
Keith_G_1
Beginner

Clive,

I think the kernel does not contain the drivers for proprietary peripherals like Accelerometer and Camera, etc.. In Android builds those items are typically supplied in so-called "Binary Blobs" that are loaded at run-time, essentially just loadable driver modules and they get placed into the system.img as files. So in the AOSP builds I think part of the missing script is how to get those needed blobs into the system.img.

In any case, we are still missing the instructions to go from built kernel (from dell opensource supplied kernel tarball), to full AOSP based Android image similar to the package that dell released as pre-built binaries. And that is where it sounds like we both want to go.

Alex, if you could cobble together some instructions for any of the recent Atom based Dell Venues 7 (3740) or 8 (3840) we could certainly use that kickstart! 

Looking at the AOSP repo branch choices, I presume that a kitkat branch would be appropriate? Like android-4.4.4_r2.0.1:

repo init -u https://android.googlesource.com/platform/manifest -b android-4.4.4_r2.0.1
 repo sync

Does that make sense? 

Certainly I will go and look at the  http://01.org/android-ia link that Yang provided, maybe there is additional information there as well.

Thanks all for your responsiveness and information so far!

- Keith

0 Kudos
Clive_W_
Beginner

Hi Alex,
Any luck getting this to work?
Many thanks,
Clive

Alexander Weggerle (Intel) wrote:

Hi,

AFAIK you can just clone the AOSP repository and build it. You need to make sure that the version you checkout match the kernel .e.g. a KitKat Kernel won't work with a Lillipop System image. After following the instructions from the dell website just use fastboot to flash the new system image on the device. Don't flash the AOSP Kernel as this will not work. 

If you like I can try it out and create some detailed instructions based on the Dell Venue 7 as I don't have a 8 yet. 

Thanks,
Alex

0 Kudos
T_K_
Beginner
Yes this would be helpful, the dead forgotten intel tablets, could finally have life.
0 Kudos
william_k_1
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks,
Alex

Alex ,

What Venue 7 do you have?

Has Intel and Dell discussed or considered ever releasing the Developer Edition - Unsigned OS supported ifwi / dnx files for Dell Venue 7 3730 P706T_NoModem at all?

I find it a little odd that that Intel and Dell has worked together to release this for the Venue 8 3830 , Venue 3840 , and the Venue 7 3740 but have not released it for the Venue 7 3730 could this simply be an over site or maybe you could provide some reasonable explanation as to why it isn't or wont be release?

Thank you in advance for you response , hope you can provide me with some good news.

Will 

0 Kudos
T_K_
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks,
Alex

Hi, still waiting for your post, I have built aosp 4.4.4 for my dell v8 3830, I run it as a dual boot from sdcard.  I make flashable roms, instead of using fastboot to flash the built system.img, this way aosp doesn't affect my installed stock dell rom, aosp has some problems, aosp does run and works, but have some issues.

no sound, camera, volume controls not working, takes long time to boot, and will crash sometimes.

0 Kudos
Peeyush_S_
Beginner

T K. wrote:

Quote:

Hi,

Thanks,
Alex

Hi, still waiting for your post, I have built aosp 4.4.4 for my dell v8 3830, I run it as a dual boot from sdcard.  I make flashable roms, instead of using fastboot to flash the built system.img, this way aosp doesn't affect my installed stock dell rom, aosp has some problems, aosp does run and works, but have some issues.

no sound, camera, volume controls not working, takes long time to boot, and will crash sometimes.

Hi T K,

Could you please post steps you followed to:

1) Create a Dual-Boot configuration on your Venue 8 38xx tablet?

2) Creating a flashable aosp build. (I understand that it's semi-broken, but any instructions would be helpful).

Thanks!

0 Kudos
T_K_
Beginner
Peeyush S. wrote:

Quote:

T K. wrote:

Quote:

Hi,

Thanks,
Alex

Hi T K,

Could you please post steps you followed to:

1) Create a Dual-Boot configuration on your Venue 8 38xx tablet?

2) Creating a flashable aosp build. (I understand that it's semi-broken, but any instructions would be helpful).

Thanks!

As far as dualboot my guide has been out for sometime, shortly after I putout my cmw recovery. You can find dualboot guide here.http://forum.xda-developers.com/dell-venue/general/dual-boot-dell-venue-8-3830-t2972574 As far as aosp guide, just wait for Alexander Weggerle (Intel), his guide will be better seeing I can't get sound, camera or volume controls to work, this must be an intel thing. Alexander Weggerle (Intel) is an Intel guy so he can tell us how to build correctly, to have fully working aosp. Honestly had, Alexander Weggerle (Intel) never replied and offered to help with aosp, I would have never bothered manufactures like intel lock ther devices down so tight, it's a complete waste of time to try and build anything for their products. but when someone works for or knows about these devices and can help get a working rom like Alexander Weggerle (Intel) can, then building a aosp rom isn't a waste of time.
0 Kudos
Keith_G_1
Beginner

Any updates on this Alexander? Or anyone else for that matter, since Alexander has been silent.

Thanks

Keith

0 Kudos
Frank_B_
Beginner
I was following instructions step by step in order to root my tablet but couldn't go any further than step number 11 and now Im stuck on the fastboot screen and the P802_flash_device_wifi_only.bat stay waiting for device. I suspect is a problem with the drivers or something like that, because in the device manager say Android-phone with a sign. Help me please, I really need to get my tablet to work. Thanks.
0 Kudos
T_K_
Beginner

Well, I have just today got back into compiling AOSP, and have had great success I can compile 4.4.4 and 5.0.2 only 4.4.4 boots cause no access to lollipop kernel, any way 4.4.4 is up and running, just needed to add more files to my build, have added even more after build for stability.

My tablet is a 3830, intel why don't you release a lollipop kernel and source for 3830, so we can build our own 5.0.2 rom, you guys don't want to update anything so just give us what we need and we will update ourselves.

My working rom is built from 4.4.4_r2.0.1, I had to use another drive to build it, as only 1.6 java can be used, I use 1.7 on my main build machine, so had to setup a completely different environment.

0 Kudos