Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17060 Discussions

How to find if multicore is enabled

anandakumaryg
Beginner
Hi,

Could any one help me to check if multicore property is enabled through c++..

Thanks,
Ananda
0 Kudos
4 Replies
gaston-hillar
Valued Contributor I
Quoting - anandakumaryg
Hi,

Thanks,
Ananda

Hi Ananda,

What do you mean with "multicore property"? Do you want to know the number of available physical cores andlogical cores?
Do you want to check whether Hyper-Threading is enabled through C++?

You can use CPUID info to check Hyper-Threading, the number of available physical and logical cores, and more information about the CPU. However, I don't know about a "multicore property".

If you have more than 1 physical core, you have a multicore CPU.

Cheers,

Gaston
0 Kudos
gaston-hillar
Valued Contributor I
Quoting - anandakumaryg
Hi,

Thanks,
Ananda

Hi Ananda,

This post http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/hyper-threading-technology-multi-core-and-mobile-intel-pentium-processor-m-toolbox/

can help you. It uses C++ and a library to detect logical and physical cores.

It doesn't work with the newest microprocessors. However, today Khang Nguyen (Intel) added a comment telling me there is going to be a new version soon. :)

Hope it helps.

Cheers,

Gastn
0 Kudos
anandakumaryg
Beginner
Quoting - Gastn C. Hillar

Hi Ananda,

This post http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/hyper-threading-technology-multi-core-and-mobile-intel-pentium-processor-m-toolbox/

can help you. It uses C++ and a library to detect logical and physical cores.

It doesn't work with the newest microprocessors. However, today Khang Nguyen (Intel) added a comment telling me there is going to be a new version soon. :)

Hope it helps.

Cheers,

Gastn

Hi Gaston,

Thanks for the reply.

Whether the above mentioned code will work for Intel Xeon processor ? When I ran the HTMCSample.exe. Its not returing correct number of physical processor and number of cores per processor. In my Pc I am having 4 cores and 2 physical processor.

Thanks,
Ananda

0 Kudos
levicki
Valued Contributor I
Please tell us the models of your CPUs.

If they are Nehalem based, old detection methods might give wrong results. Unfortunately, last time I checked Intel's documentation wasn't updated to include the proper detection for number of cores on Nehalem CPUs.

Hi there Gaston! How's it going? :)
0 Kudos