Software Archive
Read-only legacy content

I can't see my Japanese characters on Intel XDK 1816.

tetsuya
Beginner

Hi all,

Today, I upgraded my Intel XDK to the version 1816.
When I opened my project, I chosen "update project for intel xdk + cordova" following the instructions.

After that, it become showing troubles on the design parts concerning to character strings in Japanese.
In my experiment, there seems two patterns in the troubles.

Pattern 1 ... Don't show any Japanese characters in the design view on the develop tab, in the properties text area and on the emulator.
   Design parts in the pattern 1 include FORM/TextArea and MEDIA/Text.

Pattern 2 ... Don't show in the properties text area, but it shows in the design view and on the emulator.
   Design parts in the pattern 2 include FORM/SELECT (options) and BUTTON.

What can I do for that?

Regards,
--
tetsuya

0 Kudos
23 Replies
Amrita_C_Intel
Employee

Hi! Right now XDK-1816  doesn't support Japanese characters.

0 Kudos
tetsuya
Beginner

Hi Amrita.

Thank you for your reply.
I'd like to survive by using an external text editor.

I hope the plan to support Japanese characters raise someday.

--
tetsuya

0 Kudos
John_F_3
New Contributor I

Is it a question of supporting Japanese characters in the xdk or the format of the index.html? What if that file were saved as UTF-8 then opened again in the XDK? You could edit the characters directly in the file if that works. I found the file is UTF-8 and hiragana is displayed in the AD as my screen shots show. I have not tried a build yet.

0 Kudos
DAVID_M_Intel2
Employee

I have been chasing a similar reported problem but I have not been able to get anything further from the customer involved.

I can display Japanese characters (Hiragana specifically, not that I expect that matters) in a project I have just created in version 1823. It shows both in the design and code phases of the develop tab. It also shows up in the emulator.

I have not tried converting a project, but I doubt that would cause us to lose anything. It should just be UTF-8 after all, so even if we manipulated that data it should just push through. I did remove the project from the XDK and reopen it, but that did not cause a problem.

So I don't currently have a reproducer. If you can send the project (or a cutdown of it) that shows the problem, I will take a look at it.

BTW, what platform are you on? I have been trying this on Windows. 

0 Kudos
John_F_3
New Contributor I

I live in Japan and use a Mac with the OSX version of the XDK in English and an American keyboard with Kotoeri enabled so I can select the keyboard input method as hiragana. I had not actually tried the XDK with this until yesterday. It works just fine in 1816. Just remember to switch it to the appropriate input method for the location where you are typing or interesting stuff may happen.

Here's a sequence of screenshots attached.

0 Kudos
tetsuya
Beginner

Hi, John and David,
Thank you for the comments.

I'm using XDK on Windows Server 2008 R2.
Unfortunately, the problem still exists on the version 1826.

But when I tried 1826 on another PC (Windows 8.1), it shows Japanese characters successfully (using same project files)!!

It seems the problem is caused by some mismatch between OS settings and recent XDK.

I will change my development base from the server to my PC.

Regards,
--
tetsuya

0 Kudos
DAVID_M_Intel2
Employee

On the problem machine, do you see Japanese characters in Notepad? I am wondering if you have the required fonts loaded. I think I remember on older versions of Windows you had to explicitly load languages.

0 Kudos
John_F_3
New Contributor I

Tetsuya,

Are you using an English or Japanese version of Windows? I could give you something specific to check in addition to the font support. Not only displaying the characters it is necessary to have the proper input method selected if it is not a Japanese keyboard. 

0 Kudos
tetsuya
Beginner

Thank you, David and John.

I'm using Japanese version of Windows and it can show Japanese fonts.

I compared installed fonts list between Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 8.1 in my environment,
and no differences were found except for Yu Mincho and Yu Gothic which are introduced from Windows 8.

Input method seems fine because, although XDK can't show the characters, expected characters are appeared in index.html when I open it by other editors.

Regards,
--
tetsuya

0 Kudos
tetsuya
Beginner

HI,

I tried on another PC with Windows 7 (Japanese version).
It can't show Japanese characters in the text area, just same as the results on Windows Server 2008 R2.

Regards,
--
tetsuya

0 Kudos
DAVID_M_Intel2
Employee

Can you send us a project that shows the problem? I realize you may not want to send the real project but if you can dummy something up that shows the problem that will work just as well.

I will also check with one of my Japanese colleagues if they have seen the problem. She may be able to find a Windows 7 machine to try it on.

Right now I cannot think of anything else you could try.

0 Kudos
tetsuya
Beginner

David,
I attached dummy project file in this message.

The project has one page, that showing one button labeled 'BOTAN' in Katakana and one text area holding several Hiragana characters which are not displayed in my environment.

I hope this helps finding cause of the problem.

Regards,
--
tetsuya

0 Kudos
Miwako_T_Intel
Employee

Hi, Tetsuya and David.

I tried the following on a Win7 Professional SP1 (Japanese OS) system.

1. Using 1826, I created an App Designer project and added FORM/TextArea, MEDIA/Text, BUTTON, and FORM/SELECT. I then changed the fields to Microsoft IME hiragana characters. In properties text area (and also on emulator), the characters all seem to display fine. 

2. Using 1621, I created a blank App Designer project (with App Framework selected as the UI scheme) and did the same. The characters all displayed fine. I then updated the XDK to 1826 and converted the project as you did. After the conversion, the characters all displayed fine.

Is Microsoft IME-Hiragana (I do not have a Japanese keyboard, so I select IME on screen) what you used? What XDK version did you update to 1826 from? 

I will attach the 1621 and 1826 projects. Do the Japanese characters display when you open them on your system? 

Please feel free to write in Japanese as needed. :)

Thanks.

Miwako

0 Kudos
Miwako_T_Intel
Employee

Hi, Tetsuya.

I tried opening your NewProject in 1826 and App Designer isn't coming up. :< It should since it says it started from XDK- App Designer. It does for you, right?

0 Kudos
tetsuya
Beginner

Thank you, Miwako.

I'd like to show a procedure to reproduce the problem like following;

1. "START A NEW PROJECT",
  2. Choose "Templates" -> "Blank" -> "HTML5+Cordova",
  3. Check "Use App Designer", then "Continue",
  4. Enter a project name,
  5. Select "App Framework", then "Select",
  6. On the App Designer view, add a TEXT by drag-and-dropping,
  7. Enter some Hiragana characters in the text area on the right panel

Then, it shows no characters but white spaces.
By viewing produced index.html, I can confirm the Hiragana characters are successfully typed.

ScreenShot.jpg

Regards,
--
tetsuya

0 Kudos
Miwako_T_Intel
Employee

Hi, Tetsuya. Thank you very much for info.

I did exactly the same, and I can see the characters...(again on the Win7-SP1 Japanese system). I will try to catch the App Designer folks to see if they have any ideas. Sorry this won't be till tonight.

Untitled.png

0 Kudos
Miwako_T_Intel
Employee

Hi, me again.

If you can, please attach the project you made for your 3/25/15 - 22:16 comment since I was not able to get App Designer to come up with the one you attached previously. Thanks.

Miwako

0 Kudos
tetsuya
Beginner

Hi, Miwako,

Thank you for your help.
Hmm, I can open the project file NewProject I attached (checked by downloading from the comment).

Anyway, here is another project, which was created for the previous comment (only one text).

Regards,
--
tetsuya

0 Kudos
DAVID_M_Intel2
Employee

Thank you very much for your help on this Tetsuya.

Miwako has created a bug report. So it will get looked at. How hard it will be to fix remains to be seen.

0 Kudos
Miwako_T_Intel
Employee

Hi, Tetsuya. 

Thank you very much for the update. The first one did open but App Designer did not com up with it and I am having the same problem with the second one.  Hopefully this is only me.

As David said, the team is looking at the problem now. I will note it here if there is any update. As I was not able to reproduce the problem on Win7 (and that's the only win7 I got), we may be asking for more info from you. Meanwhile, I'll try to look for a system that can reproduce the problem but no promises.. :<

0 Kudos