Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17060 Discussions

Installation problem, Fortan 6.0

WSinc
New Contributor I
I install this with no problem, but when trying to open an .f90 type source file, I get:

"Could not find DFDEV.EXE"

Was that supposed to be included on the CD-ROM, or does that come from another product, like Visual studio?

What version of Visual studio do I need?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
That's part of Visual Fortran and is installed under a "Typical" installation. How did you install? What OS are you using? If NT/2000, did you log in as an administrator to do the install? How are you trying to open a .f90 source file?

I suggest you write to us at vf-support@compaq.com and describe the problem in detail.

Steve
0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I
I have a standalone system with Win 98. I tried to open the file by clicking on an "F90" file type.
One thing I noticed is that it's making a parent directory with the name
" Visual Studio" instead of "DevStudio" which already existed.

When did the name of that directory change?
Does this mean I have to have a newer version of Development Studio?
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Microsoft changed the directory structure in the move from V5 to V6. DevStudio is the V5 name. Visual Fortran includes everything you need, including Developer Studio. Did you change the installation directory to be DevStudio?

What is the exact and complete error message you get? I have an idea as to what might be wrong...

Steve
0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I
It says "Windows can not find DFDEV.EXE" and then "This file is needed for opening files of type "Fortran source file."

All of this is in a dialog box propting me to find it on the C or D drvies, but none of those has it.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Open a folder - any folder in Windows Explorer. You don't say what OS you're using, so this may vary. On Windows 2000, select Tools..Folder Options, then the File Types tab. On W98 or W95 this may be under Edit - I forget. You want the list of "registered file types". Scroll down the list to F90 - if there is an Advanced button, click that, or perhaps Change. There will be an action of "Open with MSDEV". Click on that and then Edit. Under "Application used to perform action" should be the path to DFDEV.EXE. My guess is that the path is not correct - that perhaps you renamed or moved files after installing. Correct the path to point to where DFDEV.EXE really is. (And if it isn't on your system, you should reinstall.) Click OK. You should now be all set.

I will comment that this is not an ideal way to use Developer Studio, since the source file won't be in a project. I suggest you open Developer Studio by itself, then open or create a project and add your Fortran source(s) to it.

Steve
0 Kudos